Furniture maker opening another facility; creating 60 jobs
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 23,2013
Tags: economic development, employee, employer, employment, expansion, facility, furniture, grant, industrial real estate, job, manufacture, manufacturer, manufacturing, plant, property, state agency, work, worker
VERONA — Ashley Furniture Industries is locating operations in a 275,000-square-foot facility in Verona, and will create 60 jobs at its new facility, according to the Mississippi Development Authority.
Ashley Furniture maintains manufacturing operations in Ecru and Ripley.
The furniture manufacturer will use its new Verona facility, which is located on a 35-acre site in the Tupelo-Lee Industrial Park South and was formerly occupied by Morgan Fabrics, to manufacture sleepers and mattresses. The facility will also serve as a replacement part and customer support center.
“This decision was the result of several years of global strategic and grass roots analysis,” said Ashley Furniture Industries president and CEO Todd Wanek. Referencing the advantages of the Verona facility, he said, “It is in close proximity to Ashley’s existing facilities in Ripley and Ecru, is serviced by a rail line and is located in a Foreign Trade Zone. Furthermore, Mississippi is a business-friendly state that we are happy to call home.”
The MDA provided assistance for infrastructure improvements through the Community Development Block Grant program in support of the project.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment
- Bryant wants free tuition for students with technical diploma
- Investigators find massive Ag Museum fire was an accident
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending