Mayor vetoes pay hike for himself, aldermen
Published: January 24,2013
STARKVILLE — Mayor Parker Wiseman has vetoed a salary increase for members of the board of aldermen and the mayor.
The Starkville Daily News reports the city board had approved the raises Jan. 2 on a 6-1 vote. Wiseman vetoed it Tuesday.
The proposal would increase the aldermen’s annual pay from $12,000 to $15,000 and the mayor’s salary from $60,000 to $71,500. It would have been effective in fiscal year 2015.
Wiseman says he wants the salary issue for the board and the mayor addressed after Mississippi State University’s John C. Stennis Institute of Government completes a survey of municipal salaries and makes recommendations.
Wiseman says he thought it was unwise to increase the salaries of the elected officials before considering raises for city workers.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Gulf oil and gas leases to go up for sale in March
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- Airport gets grant to support seasonal service from Sun Country
- State officials identify first flu case this season
- STAYING POSITIVE — Career attitude help Brynn Joachim to fight disease at 41