Mayor vetoes pay hike for himself, aldermen
Published: January 24,2013
STARKVILLE — Mayor Parker Wiseman has vetoed a salary increase for members of the board of aldermen and the mayor.
The Starkville Daily News reports the city board had approved the raises Jan. 2 on a 6-1 vote. Wiseman vetoed it Tuesday.
The proposal would increase the aldermen’s annual pay from $12,000 to $15,000 and the mayor’s salary from $60,000 to $71,500. It would have been effective in fiscal year 2015.
Wiseman says he wants the salary issue for the board and the mayor addressed after Mississippi State University’s John C. Stennis Institute of Government completes a survey of municipal salaries and makes recommendations.
Wiseman says he thought it was unwise to increase the salaries of the elected officials before considering raises for city workers.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option