Air Force base wins award for recycling efforts
Published: January 29,2013
BILOXI — Keesler Air Force Base has been named an environmental hero in Mississippi for its comprehensive recycling efforts.
The Sun Herald reports the Mississippi Recycling Coalition chose Keesler as the recipient of its 2012 Environmental Hero Award as the state or federal government recycler of the year.
The base recycled nearly 2,700 tons of waste in the 2012 fiscal year. The Keesler recycles the usual waste products as well as concrete, electronics and toner cartridges. Also, vegetable debris is ground into mulch and donated.
Base officials began a food recycling project in 2011 for Keesler’s three dining halls, hospital and commissary. The base recycled 323 tons of food waste last year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- Kemper County plant will cost at least another $496M to complete
- Cochran calls on EPA for review of Yazoo Backwater Project
- State Sen. Gandy hospitalized in South America
- Camgian launches Internet of Things product called Egburt
- Former Mississippi First Lady Carroll Waller dies at 87
- Number of requests for general election absentee ballots roughly same as primary
- After string of losses, O'Hara sees himself as Senate 'protest vote'