Air Force base wins award for recycling efforts
Published: January 29,2013
BILOXI — Keesler Air Force Base has been named an environmental hero in Mississippi for its comprehensive recycling efforts.
The Sun Herald reports the Mississippi Recycling Coalition chose Keesler as the recipient of its 2012 Environmental Hero Award as the state or federal government recycler of the year.
The base recycled nearly 2,700 tons of waste in the 2012 fiscal year. The Keesler recycles the usual waste products as well as concrete, electronics and toner cartridges. Also, vegetable debris is ground into mulch and donated.
Base officials began a food recycling project in 2011 for Keesler’s three dining halls, hospital and commissary. The base recycled 323 tons of food waste last year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter
- Ex-Delta mayor indicted, accused of stealing city property
- Cochran's legal counsel asks Court to toss McDaniel's lawsuit
- Williams-Sonoma expanding, adding nearly 1,000 jobs
- More than half-dozen groups file charter school applications
- Ex-baliff wants pay or her job back after termination
- State Rep. Patterson switches from Democrats to GOP
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015