Air Force base wins award for recycling efforts
Published: January 29,2013
BILOXI — Keesler Air Force Base has been named an environmental hero in Mississippi for its comprehensive recycling efforts.
The Sun Herald reports the Mississippi Recycling Coalition chose Keesler as the recipient of its 2012 Environmental Hero Award as the state or federal government recycler of the year.
The base recycled nearly 2,700 tons of waste in the 2012 fiscal year. The Keesler recycles the usual waste products as well as concrete, electronics and toner cartridges. Also, vegetable debris is ground into mulch and donated.
Base officials began a food recycling project in 2011 for Keesler’s three dining halls, hospital and commissary. The base recycled 323 tons of food waste last year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal