Air Force base wins award for recycling efforts
Published: January 29,2013
BILOXI — Keesler Air Force Base has been named an environmental hero in Mississippi for its comprehensive recycling efforts.
The Sun Herald reports the Mississippi Recycling Coalition chose Keesler as the recipient of its 2012 Environmental Hero Award as the state or federal government recycler of the year.
The base recycled nearly 2,700 tons of waste in the 2012 fiscal year. The Keesler recycles the usual waste products as well as concrete, electronics and toner cartridges. Also, vegetable debris is ground into mulch and donated.
Base officials began a food recycling project in 2011 for Keesler’s three dining halls, hospital and commissary. The base recycled 323 tons of food waste last year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Hosemann to launch crowd funding program