Study: Confidence in economy holding steady on Coast
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 31,2013
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Confidence in the Mississippi Gulf Coast economy held steady in the fourth quarter of 2012, according to the CEO and Business Owners Confidence report from the Gulf Coast Business Council.
“For the second consecutive survey, business leaders perceive a modestly improving economy,” said Jack Norris, president of the Gulf Coast Business Council. “It will be interesting to track how initiatives — such as the regional destination marketing organization legislation currently in Jackson and national issues — shape the outlook of our local economy in 2013.”
Highlights of the study are:
• The overall measure of business confidence on the Mississippi Gulf Coast was 57 in the fourth quarter, the same as the third quarter. A score of 57 for the third and fourth quarter of 2012, marked the fifth and sixth time in the last seventeen quarters that this level has been achieved. A score of 50 would indicate respondents felt the economy was neither improving nor worsening.
• Forty-three percent of the respondents believe the economy improved from the previous six months. Forty percent of the respondents indicated no change while 17 percent believe the economy worsened over the last six months.
• Local sales tax collections did exceed prior year levels for the latter six months of 2012, suggesting that the local economy is growing.
• Fourteen percent of respondents suggested staffing reductions were possible, compared to 21 percent in the third quarter survey. Twenty-two percent indicated plans to hire additional staff. The Mississippi Department of Employment Security preliminary data for 2012 suggests the Mississippi Gulf Coast did add 5,000 established jobs through November 2012 compared to November 2011.
For the complete report, visit the Gulf Coast Business Council’s website at www.msgcbc.org.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren