Commission to discuss finding new agency director
Published: February 5,2013
BILOXI — The Mississippi Commission on Marine Resources is scheduled to meet Thursday to discuss the search for a new agency director.
The commission fired Bill Walker Jan. 15 as executive director of the Department of Marine Resources.
Walker, who was appointed head of the MDMR in 2002 by Gov. Ronnie Musgrove, has come under fire in recent months — first from a preliminary report in a federal audit which questioned funds spent on land purchases made through a federal program funded by offshore money. The report found the department paid far more in most cases than the estimated value of the properties.
Walker has denied any wrongdoing.
Deputy Director Danny Guice Jr. is serving as interim director.
The commission meets at 6:30 p.m. at the Bolton State Building in Biloxi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Former DPS employees sentenced for selling bogus driver's licenses
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Research on dogs could lead to better understanding of human cancer
- Keesler Medical Center set to begin $74M renovation project
- ONE MORE YEAR: Leaders want year more of study on comprehensive road, bridge upkeep
- Community college dedicating new welding technology center