Commission to discuss finding new agency director
Published: February 5,2013
BILOXI — The Mississippi Commission on Marine Resources is scheduled to meet Thursday to discuss the search for a new agency director.
The commission fired Bill Walker Jan. 15 as executive director of the Department of Marine Resources.
Walker, who was appointed head of the MDMR in 2002 by Gov. Ronnie Musgrove, has come under fire in recent months — first from a preliminary report in a federal audit which questioned funds spent on land purchases made through a federal program funded by offshore money. The report found the department paid far more in most cases than the estimated value of the properties.
Walker has denied any wrongdoing.
Deputy Director Danny Guice Jr. is serving as interim director.
The commission meets at 6:30 p.m. at the Bolton State Building in Biloxi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- McDaniel alleges GOP race-baiting; says party should be 'purged'
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Mississippi Power conducts successful tests at Kemper plant
- Police find Attorney General Hood's stolen handgun
- Seafood dealer/processor guilty of illegal handling of oysters
- Medical transportation company opening operation/call center
- Pickwick Pines settles lawsuit; pays $260K