Commission to discuss finding new agency director
Published: February 5,2013
BILOXI — The Mississippi Commission on Marine Resources is scheduled to meet Thursday to discuss the search for a new agency director.
The commission fired Bill Walker Jan. 15 as executive director of the Department of Marine Resources.
Walker, who was appointed head of the MDMR in 2002 by Gov. Ronnie Musgrove, has come under fire in recent months — first from a preliminary report in a federal audit which questioned funds spent on land purchases made through a federal program funded by offshore money. The report found the department paid far more in most cases than the estimated value of the properties.
Walker has denied any wrongdoing.
Deputy Director Danny Guice Jr. is serving as interim director.
The commission meets at 6:30 p.m. at the Bolton State Building in Biloxi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending
- Top 10 finalists chosen for C Spire Conerly Trophy
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- State’s new banking chief Charlotte Corley has deep roots in the business
- Stricklin: Deer parasites don't affect quality of venison