Commission to discuss finding new agency director
Published: February 5,2013
BILOXI — The Mississippi Commission on Marine Resources is scheduled to meet Thursday to discuss the search for a new agency director.
The commission fired Bill Walker Jan. 15 as executive director of the Department of Marine Resources.
Walker, who was appointed head of the MDMR in 2002 by Gov. Ronnie Musgrove, has come under fire in recent months — first from a preliminary report in a federal audit which questioned funds spent on land purchases made through a federal program funded by offshore money. The report found the department paid far more in most cases than the estimated value of the properties.
Walker has denied any wrongdoing.
Deputy Director Danny Guice Jr. is serving as interim director.
The commission meets at 6:30 p.m. at the Bolton State Building in Biloxi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Gov. Bryant intervening in same-sex couple's divorce
- Vicksburg mayor marries during lunch break
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- McDaniel files legal arguments as he looks to overturn Cochran loss