Commission to discuss finding new agency director
Published: February 5,2013
BILOXI — The Mississippi Commission on Marine Resources is scheduled to meet Thursday to discuss the search for a new agency director.
The commission fired Bill Walker Jan. 15 as executive director of the Department of Marine Resources.
Walker, who was appointed head of the MDMR in 2002 by Gov. Ronnie Musgrove, has come under fire in recent months — first from a preliminary report in a federal audit which questioned funds spent on land purchases made through a federal program funded by offshore money. The report found the department paid far more in most cases than the estimated value of the properties.
Walker has denied any wrongdoing.
Deputy Director Danny Guice Jr. is serving as interim director.
The commission meets at 6:30 p.m. at the Bolton State Building in Biloxi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Top 40 Under 40
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- MDA to close all its regional offices
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Top 40 Under 40 (digital magazine)