Broken pipeline leaks gallons of oil into creek
Published: February 6,2013
JASPER COUNTY — Authorities say about 40 gallons of oil leaked from a broken pipeline in Jasper County into a creek east of Bay Springs yesterday before being stopped.
The pipeline, owned by Houston, Texas-based Plains All-American Pipeline LP, began leaking sometime before 3 p.m. yesterday, when it was discovered. It connects to one of the many oil fields around Jasper County.
County officials along with the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality installed containment booms to stop oil from flowing farther downstream.
PAA spokesman Brad Leone said in a statement today that the break occurred in the company’s Bay Springs-to-Heidelberg eight-inch pipeline. He said workers found a visible sheen of oil in a tributary that leads to the Tallahoma Creek and crude oil was found on a right of way for the pipeline.
Leolne said PAA reported the incident to regulatory agencies, activated its response plan, deployed personnel to the scene and is mobilizing additional spill response personnel and equipment.
“At this time the volume and cause of the release are unknown. PAA’s immediate priorities are to contain and clean up the release, while ensuring the safety of response personnel and minimizing the impact to the public and the environment,” Leone said.
Leone said the company will start the cleanup process, assess the environmental impact and determine how the leak occurred.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Broken pipeline leaks gallons of oil into creek”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics