City leaders want U.S. 90 named a scenic byway
by Associated Press
Published: February 6,2013
GULFPORT — The Gulfport City Council has voted to support naming U.S. 90 a scenic byway, along with Harrison County.
If that designation is approved by the state, Gulfport can apply for grants to market the highway as a scenic byway.
Currently, only Hancock County has roads designated scenic byways on the Coast.
Tish Williams, executive director of the Hancock County Chamber, told The Sun Herald it would be easier to market this area if Harrison County received the designation too.
The city must come up with a plan for the portion of the highway that runs through Gulfport and submit it to the state’s Scenic Byway Commission.
If the commission approves it, it moves to the Legislature.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast
- Boyd Gaming reports drop in in-state net revenue
- Union-restricting legislation moves forward
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years