Sorority recognizes Roach
Mississippi native Florence Roach was honored by Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. with the Shining Star Award at its Centennial Kick-Off Hollywood Gala in Los Angeles. Roach was recognized for her performances on stage and on film. In 2011, she appeared in Steven Spielberg’s Academy Award-winning movie “The Help.” She also appeared in Craig Brewer’s “Black Snake Moan”, several independent films and numerous stage productions and commercials. A singer, director, producer, playwright, songwriter and comedienne as well as an actress, Roach produced, directed and starred her one-woman play, “Calling All Men.” She is also well-known for the many hats that she wears as part of Umoja Kamaru, an annual production at Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church (MBCC).
She was born into the family of Rev. J. M. and Katie Fletcher Roach and grew up in Robinsonville. Roach holds a BS degree in business education from Jackson State University, a masters in vocational business from the University of Memphis as well as a certification in administration and supervision from the University of Memphis. She is a member of the Memphis Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority.
Roach is president of Ettaro Theatre Company and is a retired, award-winning vocational and theater teacher for Memphis City Schools and former supervisor of student teachers at the University of Memphis.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Sorority recognizes Roach”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren