Former Appeals judge dies on Coast at age 71
Published: February 12,2013
OCEAN SPRINGS — Retired Mississippi Court of Appeals Judge William Harbin Myers, 71, of Ocean Springs died Feb. 7, 2013.
Mississippi Supreme Court Chief Justice Bill Waller Jr. said, “Judge Myers performed his duties with dignity, timeliness and scholarship. His pleasant demeanor and sense of humor will be missed by all.”
Myers’ career of public service spanned nearly 20 years. He served as a member of the Court of Appeals for more than 11 years, and for eight years as a chancellor of the 16th Chancery Court of Jackson, George and Greene counties.
Myers was appointed to the 16th Chancery in July 1992 and served as chancellor until his appointment to the Court of Appeals in June 2000. While he was chancellor, Myers served at various times as secretary, vice-chairman and chairman of the Conference of Chancery Judges. He also served on the Commission on Judicial Performance.
Then-Gov. Ronnie Musgrove appointed Myers to a vacancy on the Court of Appeals in June 2000. He was elected to two terms on the court. He served as a presiding judge of the Court of Appeals from Nov. 1, 2005-March 3, 2011. He retired from the Court of Appeals on Dec. 31, 2011. He also served on the Committee on Continuing Judicial Education and on the Board of Governors of the Mississippi Judicial College.
He was in private law practice for 23 years in Pascagoula before he went to the bench. Jan. 24 marked his 44th year as a member of the Mississippi Bar.
He was named Outstanding Citizen of Ocean Springs in 1981. He was a former board member and past president of the Mississippi Gulf Coast YMCA. He was a member of the American Legion and the Masons.
Myers grew up in Jackson and graduated from Murrah High School in 1960. He was a graduate of Mississippi State University and the University of Mississippi School of Law. He served in the U.S. Army from 1964 to 1966, earning the Army Commendation Medal. He was honorably discharged in 1966 as a first lieutenant.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Leadership in Law nomination form
- Ex-state employee gets jail time for embezzling from school
- MDOT study: State's airports generate $2.5B-plus in economic activity