Hospital sets transplant record; looking to break it
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 12,2013
JACKSON – Teams at the University of Mississippi Medical Center transplanted a record 103 kidneys last year, a figure they could surpass in 2013 even while preparing to restart liver transplantations following a 22-year hiatus.
“This record stands as a benchmark as we work toward becoming a complete abdominal-organ transplant center,” said Dr. James Keeton, UMMC vice chancellor for health affairs.
No other health care facility in Mississippi transplant organs.
With approval in late January from the United Network for Organ Sharing, the governing body for organ transplantation in the U.S., UMMC cleared the final regulatory hurdle to perform liver transplants. UMMC last performed a liver transplant in 1991.
The first case for the renewed liver-transplant program could come this year. The team will begin evaluating and listing patients for liver transplants immediately.
The 103 kidney transplants in 2012facilitated another record figure. Last year the highest percentage ever of Mississippi-donated kidneys stayed in the state.
Also in 2012, the teams performed the first of two kidney transplants ever in the Blair E. Batson Hospital for Children. Previously pediatric patients received their transplants in University Hospital.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders