Board of Contractors exec warns of post-tornado scams
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 15,2013
SOUTH MISSISSIPPI — After extensive damage was reported from a F4 tornado that ravaged Hattiesburg and surrounding areas last Sunday, Mississippi State Board of Contractors (MSBOC) employees were on site surveying damage and urging homeowners and business owners to be vigilant when contracting for storm damage clean up and repairs.
MSBOC executive director Stephanie Sills Lee cautions consumers who were affected by Sunday’s storms to be wary of fraudulent contractors who prey on storm damaged victims. Severe weather damage makes home and property owners attractive targets for repair frauds. Homeowners, especially senior citizens, are routinely approached by door-to-door scam artists.
Consumers can use MSBOC online resources at www.msboc.us to check the license status of the contractor they plan to hire.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Top 40 Under 40
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- MDA to close all its regional offices
- Top 40 Under 40 (digital magazine)