Board of Contractors exec warns of post-tornado scams
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 15,2013
SOUTH MISSISSIPPI — After extensive damage was reported from a F4 tornado that ravaged Hattiesburg and surrounding areas last Sunday, Mississippi State Board of Contractors (MSBOC) employees were on site surveying damage and urging homeowners and business owners to be vigilant when contracting for storm damage clean up and repairs.
MSBOC executive director Stephanie Sills Lee cautions consumers who were affected by Sunday’s storms to be wary of fraudulent contractors who prey on storm damaged victims. Severe weather damage makes home and property owners attractive targets for repair frauds. Homeowners, especially senior citizens, are routinely approached by door-to-door scam artists.
Consumers can use MSBOC online resources at www.msboc.us to check the license status of the contractor they plan to hire.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- Mississippi Power CEO's departure due to withholding Kemper information from regulators
- Hosemann revels in victory over Court's redistricting ruling
- Nullification and interposition
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Tenn. company makes unspecified offer to lease hospital
- Airport's food irradiation business could create new jobs
- In wake of bond issue failure, golf course fights to stay playable