Keeping Our Eye On Lauren Smith
Published: February 15,2013
Lauren Smith spends most days at work with her head in the clouds, the cyber clouds that is.
As communication and marketing strategist for Venture Technologies in Ridgeland, Smith carries the water for one of Mississippi’s pioneers in the datacenter and cloud computing industries. Founded in 1986, the company also operates locations in Alabama, Louisiana and Tennessee.
Smith moved to Vicksburg from Colorado Springs with her parents when she was two and graduated from Warren Central High School before attending Mississippi State University where she was an honors graduate with double majors in marketing and economics.
“I love all aspects of marketing consulting,” Smith says. “My passion is working as a business’ image consultant to help them present their message in interesting and fun ways to an audience who is interested in that solution.”
Since joining Venture in 2011, Smith has helped rebrand the company including a new logo and website and has also started a corporate newsletter and active social media campaign. She has also started a successful video series to promote Venture Tech and educate customers on their services.
Smith worked as project manager for strategic planning at First Presbyterian Church in Jackson while earning an MBA from Millsaps College and also has work experience in the non-profit and advertising sectors.
In addition to her work at Venture, Smith volunteers for the CARA animal shelter and is a member of the Mississippi Brain Drain Commission. She attends St. James Episcopal Church in Jackson.
While many job markets are struggling, Smith wants other young professionals to know that the information technology field is actually growing. “I suggest doing the research and choosing a stable market like IT,” she says. “If you can’t find your perfect job right away, it’s okay. Just make sure to choose a position where you will learn skills that will help you in the future.”
Best thing about Mississippi: The warm weather, friendly people, and great food.
Best Mississippi event: Bright Lights Belhaven Nights
Favorite Mississippi food: The chocolate lovers flourless torte at Bravo.
Favorite hangout spots: Bravo, Underground 119
Favorite TV Show: Downton Abbey, Modern Family
Favorite Movie: “Labyrinth”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal