City says no to controversial new movie theater
by Associated Press
Published: February 20,2013
OLIVE BRANCH — Officials have blocked a movie theater developer’s attempt to put a cinema at the wooded rear of the golf course community of Wedgewood.
The Commercial Appeal reports the controversial plans by cinema developer Ambarish A. Keshani drew about 100 area residents to yesterday’s Olive Branch Board of Aldermen meeting to speak in opposition to a theater.
They expressed concerns over potential crime and traffic congestion.
Keshani, of Cinema Group Inc., announced his plans for a theater shortly after Malco Theatres Inc. said it would go forward with plans for a cinema.
Keshani preferred the site near Wedgewood to another piece of property along Goodman Road east of Malone Road. Aldermen are scheduled to hear an application for a preliminary development plan at that site March 19.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability