City says no to controversial new movie theater
Published: February 20,2013
OLIVE BRANCH — Officials have blocked a movie theater developer’s attempt to put a cinema at the wooded rear of the golf course community of Wedgewood.
The Commercial Appeal reports the controversial plans by cinema developer Ambarish A. Keshani drew about 100 area residents to yesterday’s Olive Branch Board of Aldermen meeting to speak in opposition to a theater.
They expressed concerns over potential crime and traffic congestion.
Keshani, of Cinema Group Inc., announced his plans for a theater shortly after Malco Theatres Inc. said it would go forward with plans for a cinema.
Keshani preferred the site near Wedgewood to another piece of property along Goodman Road east of Malone Road. Aldermen are scheduled to hear an application for a preliminary development plan at that site March 19.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option