City says no to controversial new movie theater
Published: February 20,2013
OLIVE BRANCH — Officials have blocked a movie theater developer’s attempt to put a cinema at the wooded rear of the golf course community of Wedgewood.
The Commercial Appeal reports the controversial plans by cinema developer Ambarish A. Keshani drew about 100 area residents to yesterday’s Olive Branch Board of Aldermen meeting to speak in opposition to a theater.
They expressed concerns over potential crime and traffic congestion.
Keshani, of Cinema Group Inc., announced his plans for a theater shortly after Malco Theatres Inc. said it would go forward with plans for a cinema.
Keshani preferred the site near Wedgewood to another piece of property along Goodman Road east of Malone Road. Aldermen are scheduled to hear an application for a preliminary development plan at that site March 19.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Gulf oil and gas leases to go up for sale in March
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Airport gets grant to support seasonal service from Sun Country
- State officials identify first flu case this season
- NCCI petitioning for workers' comp rate decrease