City says no to controversial new movie theater
Published: February 20,2013
OLIVE BRANCH — Officials have blocked a movie theater developer’s attempt to put a cinema at the wooded rear of the golf course community of Wedgewood.
The Commercial Appeal reports the controversial plans by cinema developer Ambarish A. Keshani drew about 100 area residents to yesterday’s Olive Branch Board of Aldermen meeting to speak in opposition to a theater.
They expressed concerns over potential crime and traffic congestion.
Keshani, of Cinema Group Inc., announced his plans for a theater shortly after Malco Theatres Inc. said it would go forward with plans for a cinema.
Keshani preferred the site near Wedgewood to another piece of property along Goodman Road east of Malone Road. Aldermen are scheduled to hear an application for a preliminary development plan at that site March 19.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Bryant wants free tuition for students with technical diploma
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment
- Investigators find massive Ag Museum fire was an accident
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending