City says no to controversial new movie theater
by Associated Press
Published: February 20,2013
OLIVE BRANCH — Officials have blocked a movie theater developer’s attempt to put a cinema at the wooded rear of the golf course community of Wedgewood.
The Commercial Appeal reports the controversial plans by cinema developer Ambarish A. Keshani drew about 100 area residents to yesterday’s Olive Branch Board of Aldermen meeting to speak in opposition to a theater.
They expressed concerns over potential crime and traffic congestion.
Keshani, of Cinema Group Inc., announced his plans for a theater shortly after Malco Theatres Inc. said it would go forward with plans for a cinema.
Keshani preferred the site near Wedgewood to another piece of property along Goodman Road east of Malone Road. Aldermen are scheduled to hear an application for a preliminary development plan at that site March 19.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Hunters urged to help fight wild hog population
- Grocery store settles discrimination case with EEOC
- County to borrow $24M for wood pellet terminal at port
- Study says state sacrificing billions of dollars, 20,000 jobs in refusing Medicaid expansion
- Cochran: 'We are making progress' on farm bill
- Alabama developer pleads guilty to wetlands violations
- Anderson to turn 22 the day he's sworn into Legislature
- DMR sends letter to MDA over marine leasing, seismic activity
- Supreme Court refuses to hear drilling moratorium case
- Limited ferry service to island draws complaints