Mayor arrested on federal bribery charges, no details released
Published: February 21,2013
VICKSBURG — Mayor Paul Winfield has been arrested on federal bribery charges.
FBI spokeswoman Deborah Madden says Winfield was arrested in Vicksburg by federal agents. No details of Winfield’s arrest have been released.
The 39-yar-old Winfield is being held in the Madison County Detention Center in Canton. No initial court appearance has been announced.
He is completing his first term as mayor in the Mississippi River city and qualified to seek re-election.
Winfield also is the subject of a sexual harassment lawsuit from a former city employee. That case is scheduled to go to trial Feb. 10, 2014, before U.S. District Judge David C. Bramlette.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015