Mayor arrested on federal bribery charges, no details released
Published: February 21,2013
VICKSBURG — Mayor Paul Winfield has been arrested on federal bribery charges.
FBI spokeswoman Deborah Madden says Winfield was arrested in Vicksburg by federal agents. No details of Winfield’s arrest have been released.
The 39-yar-old Winfield is being held in the Madison County Detention Center in Canton. No initial court appearance has been announced.
He is completing his first term as mayor in the Mississippi River city and qualified to seek re-election.
Winfield also is the subject of a sexual harassment lawsuit from a former city employee. That case is scheduled to go to trial Feb. 10, 2014, before U.S. District Judge David C. Bramlette.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force