Severstal making large investment in steel mills
Published: February 22,2013
COLUMBUS — Severstal will invest $1.3 billion in its steel and mining operations worldwide with $43 million set aside for its rolled steel mill in Columbus.
The company says in a news release that while it will spend most of its investments in 2013 on its Russian operations, $107 million will be invested in the United States.
At Columbus, the company plans for health and safety improvements, environmental projects, infrastructure and production maintenance.
Severstal spokeswoman Katya Pruett says production at Columbus increased by 26 percent from 2011 to 2012. She says the company to increase production this year by 11 percent.
Severstal Columbus is capable of melting 3.4 million net tons of steel a year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — State roots key to Edge Theory's Joe Stradinger
- ALAN TURNER — The ‘Internet of things’ is focus of Camgian's Gary Butler
- Federal charges dropped against Shumate after guilty plea
- Cochran's attorneys argue for dismissal of McDaniel's lawsuit
- MEMA warns of hottest temperatures of the year