Auto shop goes up in flames with no injuries
Published: February 25,2013
KOSSUTH — Fire destroyed a motorsports shop in Kossuth on Wednesday.
The Daily Corinthian reports Unique Motorsports, owned by Mike Meeks, was a total loss in a fire that started at about 2:30 p.m.
Meeks said he had just returned from an out-of-town trip when he saw the flames coming from the shop, which was next to Meeks’ home on County Road 632.
He said firefighters arrived minutes later.
Meeks said he was able to pull a tractor from a shed and pushed a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro away from the flames, but the loss was severe.
“There’s a lot of stuff gone. Probably a million dollars worth of stuff burned,” Meeks said. “But there nothing I could do. Just stood back with my hands in my pockets and watched it burn.”
Meeks said he lost around $500,000 worth of tools as well as a race car valued at $50,000 and an expensive paint booth.
Firefighters from Kossuth and Union Center were the first on the scene. Officers from the Alcorn Sheriff’s Department also responded to the fire.
Cause of the blaze remains under investigation.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Comstock quits Tuscaloosa play on falling prices
- Clinton office complex sold for $20.5 million
- Meadville mayor seeks Sojourner's Senate seat
- Entergy plans three solar-power pilot projects
- PHIL HARDWICK: Characteristics of a good year-end fundraising letter
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Record soybean yield is valued at $1.17 billion
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case