Auto shop goes up in flames with no injuries
Published: February 25,2013
KOSSUTH — Fire destroyed a motorsports shop in Kossuth on Wednesday.
The Daily Corinthian reports Unique Motorsports, owned by Mike Meeks, was a total loss in a fire that started at about 2:30 p.m.
Meeks said he had just returned from an out-of-town trip when he saw the flames coming from the shop, which was next to Meeks’ home on County Road 632.
He said firefighters arrived minutes later.
Meeks said he was able to pull a tractor from a shed and pushed a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro away from the flames, but the loss was severe.
“There’s a lot of stuff gone. Probably a million dollars worth of stuff burned,” Meeks said. “But there nothing I could do. Just stood back with my hands in my pockets and watched it burn.”
Meeks said he lost around $500,000 worth of tools as well as a race car valued at $50,000 and an expensive paint booth.
Firefighters from Kossuth and Union Center were the first on the scene. Officers from the Alcorn Sheriff’s Department also responded to the fire.
Cause of the blaze remains under investigation.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Police find Attorney General Hood's stolen handgun