Chamber honors Burchfield
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 1,2013
Clinton Public School District superintendent Phil Burchfield was recently presented with the Clinton Chamber of Commerce’s Outstanding Citizen Award. Burchfield first came to Clinton in 1986 to serve as assistant principal of Clinton High School. In the years since, he has gone on to lead the Clinton Public School District to becoming one of the highest achieving school districts in Mississippi.
Burchfield began his career in education in 1975, working as a teacher at Ackerman High School in Ackerman. He taught for 11 years before moving into administration, serving as an assistant principal at Clinton High School from 1986-1994. He was named principal of Clinton High in 1994, and held this position until 2003, when he moved to Starkville Public School District to serve as superintendent of schools. He returned to Clinton five years later, and in July 2008 began serving as superintendent of the Clinton Public School District.
Burchfield received an associate’s degree in biology from Holmes Community College and a bachelor’s degree in zoology from Mississippi State University. He completed his master’s of educational leadership in 1982, his specialist of educational leadership in 1989 and his doctorate of educational leadership in 1995, all from Mississippi State.
He is a member of the Mississippi Association of School Superintendents, the Mississippi Association of School Administrators, the Mississippi High School Activities Association, Phi Delta Kappa and Rotary International. He is a past president and serves on the board of the Mississippi Association of School Superintendents, and has served on the boards of the Mississippi School of Math and Science and the Clinton Chamber of Commerce.
He and his wife, Nita, live in Clinton. They have three children and two grandchildren.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- Gov. Bryant sets special election date for Senate District 17
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- Mississippi sounds coming to Americana Music Festival & Conference
- City trying to determine who has authority to spend gaming money