Gladden directing center
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 1,2013
Joseph R. Gladden III is the new director of the National Center for Physical Acoustics at the University of Mississippi. Gladden, an associate professor of physics, joined the UM faculty as an assistant professor in 2005. He was a physics instructor at the United World College in Montezuma, N.M., for three years before that.
Gladden holds master’s and doctoral degrees in physics from the University of Montana and Pennsylvania State University, respectively. He earned his bachelor’s degree from the University of the South and was a post-doctoral fellow at Penn State in 2005.
Gladden co-authored a paper “Motion of a Viscoelastic Micellar Fluid Around a Cylinder: Flow and Fracture,” which was listed in “Physics News of 2007″ by the American Physical Society. Other honors and awards he has received include membership on the Emerging Leaders Conference steering committee of promising recent alumni of the University of the South, both the Duncan and Bradock Fellowships for doctoral students at Penn State, the Tandy Technology Scholars Award for Education in Science and the William T. Allen Award in Physics. Gladden has co-authored 21 juried articles, been an invited speaker at 18 conferences and secured research grants totaling $621,005 over a seven-year period. Gladden’s research areas are resonant ultrasound spectroscopy, wormlike micellar materials, continuum and granular dynamics.
He and his wife, Nicole, have three children — Chase, Camille and Josephine.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Report: Mississippi only state to see drop in home prices
- Palmertree blocked from using public funds for legal defense
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- Two companies fined for violations of 'No-Call' law
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- John Ferrucci'a perfect voice is perfect for the Silver Slipper Casino
- City suing Hercules for pollution at shuttered plant site