MSU faculty receive honor
Three Mississippi State University faculty members have been honored as new Fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Mark F. Horstemeyer of mechanical and computational engineering, James C. Newman Jr. of aerospace engineering and Mark A. Novotny of physics and astronomy are receiving the high honor awarded by their peers in recognition of scientifically or socially distinguished efforts to advance science or its applications.
Horstemeyer chairs the computation solid mechanics program and serves as chief technical officer at MSU’s Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems. He additionally serves as an adjunct professor in the agricultural and biological engineering department. Since joining the Bagley College of Engineering faculty in 2002, Horstemeyer has been named a Giles Distinguished Professor, the highest academic rank on campus, and been honored with the Ralph E. Powe Research Award.
Newman is both a Giles Distinguished Professor and holder of the Bagley College’s Richard H. Johnson Chair of Aerospace Engineering. Principal investigator of research grants totaling more than $3.6 million, he is a specialist in fatigue and fracture mechanics of materials and aircraft structures. He led the development of a fracture standard test method for thin-sheet materials that was adopted in 2006 by the American Society for Testing and Materials.
Novotny has headed the physics and astronomy department since 2001. From 2002-05, he also directed the High Performance Computing Collaboratory Center for Computational Sciences. Before coming to MSU, he was a scholar and scientist at Florida State University’s Supercomputer Computations Research Institute. A Fellow of the American Physical Society, Novotny also recently was named a Dynasty Foundation Visiting Scientist. Last year, he was among 40 foreign physicists, mathematicians and biologists receiving full travel grants to speak at academic institutions in Russia.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability