MSU faculty receive honor
Three Mississippi State University faculty members have been honored as new Fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Mark F. Horstemeyer of mechanical and computational engineering, James C. Newman Jr. of aerospace engineering and Mark A. Novotny of physics and astronomy are receiving the high honor awarded by their peers in recognition of scientifically or socially distinguished efforts to advance science or its applications.
Horstemeyer chairs the computation solid mechanics program and serves as chief technical officer at MSU’s Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems. He additionally serves as an adjunct professor in the agricultural and biological engineering department. Since joining the Bagley College of Engineering faculty in 2002, Horstemeyer has been named a Giles Distinguished Professor, the highest academic rank on campus, and been honored with the Ralph E. Powe Research Award.
Newman is both a Giles Distinguished Professor and holder of the Bagley College’s Richard H. Johnson Chair of Aerospace Engineering. Principal investigator of research grants totaling more than $3.6 million, he is a specialist in fatigue and fracture mechanics of materials and aircraft structures. He led the development of a fracture standard test method for thin-sheet materials that was adopted in 2006 by the American Society for Testing and Materials.
Novotny has headed the physics and astronomy department since 2001. From 2002-05, he also directed the High Performance Computing Collaboratory Center for Computational Sciences. Before coming to MSU, he was a scholar and scientist at Florida State University’s Supercomputer Computations Research Institute. A Fellow of the American Physical Society, Novotny also recently was named a Dynasty Foundation Visiting Scientist. Last year, he was among 40 foreign physicists, mathematicians and biologists receiving full travel grants to speak at academic institutions in Russia.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- Hood joins other AGs in efforts to curb copper theft
- Entergy gives $500K grant to The Nature Conservancy