Smith earns scholarship
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 1,2013
Starkville nurse practitioner Mary Atkinson Smith, DNP, FNP-BC, has been named the sole recipient of a full scholarship to attend the Nurse in Washington Internship (NIWI) offered by the Nursing Organizations Alliance (The Alliance) in Washington, D.C. Smith is a board-certified family nurse practitioner and has additional certifications in orthopaedics and perioperative nursing. She is the director of health care services for the Golden Triangle Planning and Development District where she has recently incorporated her house call and transitional program that serves elderly and disabled homebound patients across a seven county area. Smith is also an assistant professor of nursing in the graduate nursing department at the Mississippi University for Women in addition to being adjunct faculty with the University of Alabama Capstone College of Nursing in Tuscaloosa, Ala.
She is an active member of several professional nursing organizations and has successfully published in various nursing journals. Smith has served as the past Mississippi Nurses Association District 18 president and is currently chair of the National Association of Orthopaedic Nurses Evidence-Based Practice and Research Committee.
Smith received her bachelor of science in nursing from the Mississippi University for Women, her master of science in nursing from the University of Mississippi School of Nursing and her doctor of nursing practice from the University of Alabama Capstone College of Nursing.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Leadership in Law nomination form
- Ex-state employee gets jail time for embezzling from school
- MDOT study: State's airports generate $2.5B-plus in economic activity