Smith earns scholarship
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 1,2013
Starkville nurse practitioner Mary Atkinson Smith, DNP, FNP-BC, has been named the sole recipient of a full scholarship to attend the Nurse in Washington Internship (NIWI) offered by the Nursing Organizations Alliance (The Alliance) in Washington, D.C. Smith is a board-certified family nurse practitioner and has additional certifications in orthopaedics and perioperative nursing. She is the director of health care services for the Golden Triangle Planning and Development District where she has recently incorporated her house call and transitional program that serves elderly and disabled homebound patients across a seven county area. Smith is also an assistant professor of nursing in the graduate nursing department at the Mississippi University for Women in addition to being adjunct faculty with the University of Alabama Capstone College of Nursing in Tuscaloosa, Ala.
She is an active member of several professional nursing organizations and has successfully published in various nursing journals. Smith has served as the past Mississippi Nurses Association District 18 president and is currently chair of the National Association of Orthopaedic Nurses Evidence-Based Practice and Research Committee.
Smith received her bachelor of science in nursing from the Mississippi University for Women, her master of science in nursing from the University of Mississippi School of Nursing and her doctor of nursing practice from the University of Alabama Capstone College of Nursing.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation