Cooperative sets new record with $14M patronage payment
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 5,2013
RIDGELAND — Southern AgCredit recently returned a record level of net earnings to its customer/owners in Mississippi and Louisiana.
This marks the 17th consecutive year of the co-op’s patronage program.
Southern AgCredit customers received a check for their portion of the $6.9-million cash patronage, plus a statement detailing their share of a $7.3-million patronage allocation that is eligible for future payment in cash.
The combined $14.2-million patronage surpasses the record patronage set by the lending organization last year.
Joe Hayman, Southern AgCredit CEO, said, “Because we are a cooperative, our customers collectively own the business. We are committed to sharing our earnings with them, thereby reducing the effective interest rate on their loans. On average, this distribution amounts to approximately a 1.00 percent rate reduction”
Every year, the Southern AgCredit board of directors reviews the association’s financial position and determines how much of the earnings can be returned as a patronage. This year, the board approved a patronage to be paid as 48 percent cash and 52 percent allocated equities. Borrowers are not taxed on allocated equity funds until the funds are paid to them in cash.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip