Cooperative sets new record with $14M patronage payment
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 5,2013
RIDGELAND — Southern AgCredit recently returned a record level of net earnings to its customer/owners in Mississippi and Louisiana.
This marks the 17th consecutive year of the co-op’s patronage program.
Southern AgCredit customers received a check for their portion of the $6.9-million cash patronage, plus a statement detailing their share of a $7.3-million patronage allocation that is eligible for future payment in cash.
The combined $14.2-million patronage surpasses the record patronage set by the lending organization last year.
Joe Hayman, Southern AgCredit CEO, said, “Because we are a cooperative, our customers collectively own the business. We are committed to sharing our earnings with them, thereby reducing the effective interest rate on their loans. On average, this distribution amounts to approximately a 1.00 percent rate reduction”
Every year, the Southern AgCredit board of directors reviews the association’s financial position and determines how much of the earnings can be returned as a patronage. This year, the board approved a patronage to be paid as 48 percent cash and 52 percent allocated equities. Borrowers are not taxed on allocated equity funds until the funds are paid to them in cash.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- Town given Obamacare insurance break, but faces additional costs in 2015
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- TRIP releases report on state's crumbling roads, bridges
- Butler Snow Advisory Services adds Jimmy Bailey
- MDA to lead delegation on mission to Europe
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- Public meeting called to mull future of convention center