Cooperative sets new record with $14M patronage payment
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 5,2013
RIDGELAND — Southern AgCredit recently returned a record level of net earnings to its customer/owners in Mississippi and Louisiana.
This marks the 17th consecutive year of the co-op’s patronage program.
Southern AgCredit customers received a check for their portion of the $6.9-million cash patronage, plus a statement detailing their share of a $7.3-million patronage allocation that is eligible for future payment in cash.
The combined $14.2-million patronage surpasses the record patronage set by the lending organization last year.
Joe Hayman, Southern AgCredit CEO, said, “Because we are a cooperative, our customers collectively own the business. We are committed to sharing our earnings with them, thereby reducing the effective interest rate on their loans. On average, this distribution amounts to approximately a 1.00 percent rate reduction”
Every year, the Southern AgCredit board of directors reviews the association’s financial position and determines how much of the earnings can be returned as a patronage. This year, the board approved a patronage to be paid as 48 percent cash and 52 percent allocated equities. Borrowers are not taxed on allocated equity funds until the funds are paid to them in cash.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015