DRA, UMMC bringing telehealth center; to create 200 jobs
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 6,2013
Tags: doctor, economic development, education, employee, employer, federal agency, health, health care, higher education, hospital, job, job creation, medical, medicine, physician, public university, telemedicine, training, work, worker
JACKSON — A new telehealth delivery and education center will provide Mississippians with access to affordable, quality health care as well as expand medical training to providers, according to a joint news release from the Delta Regional Authority and the University of Mississippi Medical Center.
Center leaders estimate that the new Mississippi Delta Healthcare Workforce and Technology Project will create the workforce for more than 200 new jobs and provide education to more than 500 health care professionals across the state.
Specifically, the center will use digital and online tools to bring medical services, including specialty care, modern technology, and workforce training, to rural and underserved patients and providers across Mississippi.
The center will aim to reduce unnecessary emergency room visits.
In order to expand care while lowering costs, the DRA investment will:
• Create a statewide telehealth infrastructure and operations hub at UMMC to provide workforce education and patient care
• Connect rural health care providers and patients to specialists and cutting-edge medical technology using video conferencing and distance learning services
• Invest a total of $450,000 into the health care infrastructure of Mississippi
• Create 201 new jobs and deliver training to an estimated 511 community health workers and much-needed nurse practitioners specific to psychiatric care.
“This project will provide coordinated and accessible health care and education to underserved areas of Mississippi,” said Kristi Henderson, director of the Telehealth Center at UMMC. “Mississippi’s health and economic future depend on this innovative, culturally appropriate, community-based telehealth effort to improve health outcomes.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- News The Way You Want It!
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- BRENT CHRISTENSEN — Entrepreneurs: A vital fuel for Mississippi’s Economy