Keeping Our Eye On Jordan Downs
Published: March 8,2013
Jordan Downs is carrying on a family tradition of public service started by his grandfather, state Rep. Ray Rogers.
As U.S. Rep. Gregg Harper’s senior policy advisor, Downs has been on hand for everything from fiscal cliffs to sequesters and all legislative points in between. Each week, Downs is faced with daily challenges involving real world issues from the environment and the economy to energy and telecommunications. He also works as a liaison to constituents, organizations and agencies and writes speeches, talking points and memorandums.
“You could probably call me reserved,” Downs says. “I’ve always thought that you learn more by sitting back and listening, rather than being the person who shows he can talk the most.”
Downs graduated from Pearl High School and the University of Mississippi where he served as a student body senator and member of the judicial council. He was also active in Men’s Glee and the Kappa Alpha Order.
“I have been beyond blessed with supportive family, friends and coworkers, but my parents have certainly had the most impact on the person I am today. I owe them a lot and appreciate their counsel,” Downs says.
When not on Capitol Hill, Downs volunteers at the Children’s National Medical Center and enjoys sailing and visiting historic sites in the city.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending
- Top 10 finalists chosen for C Spire Conerly Trophy
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- State’s new banking chief Charlotte Corley has deep roots in the business
- Stricklin: Deer parasites don't affect quality of venison