Keeping Our Eye On Jordan Downs
by Stephen McDill
Published: March 8,2013
Jordan Downs is carrying on a family tradition of public service started by his grandfather, state Rep. Ray Rogers.
As U.S. Rep. Gregg Harper’s senior policy advisor, Downs has been on hand for everything from fiscal cliffs to sequesters and all legislative points in between. Each week, Downs is faced with daily challenges involving real world issues from the environment and the economy to energy and telecommunications. He also works as a liaison to constituents, organizations and agencies and writes speeches, talking points and memorandums.
“You could probably call me reserved,” Downs says. “I’ve always thought that you learn more by sitting back and listening, rather than being the person who shows he can talk the most.”
Downs graduated from Pearl High School and the University of Mississippi where he served as a student body senator and member of the judicial council. He was also active in Men’s Glee and the Kappa Alpha Order.
“I have been beyond blessed with supportive family, friends and coworkers, but my parents have certainly had the most impact on the person I am today. I owe them a lot and appreciate their counsel,” Downs says.
When not on Capitol Hill, Downs volunteers at the Children’s National Medical Center and enjoys sailing and visiting historic sites in the city.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Keeping our eye on... Liz Lancaster
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- Alcorn's finances being investigated; CFO resigns
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law
- GOP Sen. Thad Cochran to run for seventh term
- State of Louisiana mulling plan for Amtrak route