Keeping Our Eye On Jordan Downs
by Stephen McDill
Published: March 8,2013
Jordan Downs is carrying on a family tradition of public service started by his grandfather, state Rep. Ray Rogers.
As U.S. Rep. Gregg Harper’s senior policy advisor, Downs has been on hand for everything from fiscal cliffs to sequesters and all legislative points in between. Each week, Downs is faced with daily challenges involving real world issues from the environment and the economy to energy and telecommunications. He also works as a liaison to constituents, organizations and agencies and writes speeches, talking points and memorandums.
“You could probably call me reserved,” Downs says. “I’ve always thought that you learn more by sitting back and listening, rather than being the person who shows he can talk the most.”
Downs graduated from Pearl High School and the University of Mississippi where he served as a student body senator and member of the judicial council. He was also active in Men’s Glee and the Kappa Alpha Order.
“I have been beyond blessed with supportive family, friends and coworkers, but my parents have certainly had the most impact on the person I am today. I owe them a lot and appreciate their counsel,” Downs says.
When not on Capitol Hill, Downs volunteers at the Children’s National Medical Center and enjoys sailing and visiting historic sites in the city.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom
- PSC’s Mississippi Power probe continues as regulators mull next move
- Department of Environmental Quality developing water sources plan
- Stabenow, Cochran brace for full Senate vote on Farm Bill
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- OUR VIEW: USM makes right call by calling off tornado relief campaign
- Officials hoping quail numbers will rebound