Wiggins dies at home
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 8,2013
Dr. Gene Wiggins, a professor emeritus in the University of Southern Mississippi School of Mass Communication and Journalism, died Feb. 21 at his home in Hattiesburg. He was 69.
Wiggins joined the Southern Miss faculty in 1973. He earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Southern Miss and his Ph.D. from Southern Illinois University-Carbondale. Prior to completing his doctorate, he worked as a professional journalist for the Jackson Daily News and for the Hattiesburg American. He also served as a public information officer in the U.S. Air Force. He was director of the Southern Miss School of Communication from 1981 to 2001. Wiggins also authored numerous publications, including books, book chapters and journal articles in the area of mass communication law. He taught graduate courses in public relations case studies and law, as well as undergraduate courses in media writing and law, and continued to teach a course in media law and ethics after his retirement.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ford F-150s roll into Mississippi, ahead of the pickup pack
- Mississippi poultry industry's hub system behind today's success
- UNFOLDING OF A RESCUE — How Sanderson Farms saved Mississippi's PGA tour event
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- MBJ Business Person of the Year: Joe Sanderson Jr.
- Birdwatching generates big bucks for coastal economy with room to grow
- Irby commits suicide after wife's prison release
- TODD SMITH'S SPIN CYCLE: Top 10 toy brands that won holiday social media blitz
- LOUANNE LOFTON: A new twist on dystopian fiction