Wiggins dies at home
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 8,2013
Dr. Gene Wiggins, a professor emeritus in the University of Southern Mississippi School of Mass Communication and Journalism, died Feb. 21 at his home in Hattiesburg. He was 69.
Wiggins joined the Southern Miss faculty in 1973. He earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Southern Miss and his Ph.D. from Southern Illinois University-Carbondale. Prior to completing his doctorate, he worked as a professional journalist for the Jackson Daily News and for the Hattiesburg American. He also served as a public information officer in the U.S. Air Force. He was director of the Southern Miss School of Communication from 1981 to 2001. Wiggins also authored numerous publications, including books, book chapters and journal articles in the area of mass communication law. He taught graduate courses in public relations case studies and law, as well as undergraduate courses in media writing and law, and continued to teach a course in media law and ethics after his retirement.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager