Consultant advises city to expand convention center
Published: March 12,2013
NATCHEZ — Natchez Convention Center managers say a multi-million-dollar expansion of the center will be needed in two years.
The Natchez Democrat reports New Orleans Hotel Consultants president Warren Reuther told Mayor Butch Brown and aldermen at a meeting last week that the center is rapidly approaching 70-percent capacity.
Convention center manager Walter Tipton said the convention center is turning away events because of lack of space, mainly wedding receptions.
Reuther says the convention center is also in need of $174,500 in repairs, including resurfacing the exhibit hall floor and repairs to the sound system, elevator and repainting.
Brown said paying for repairs and an expansion of the convention center will require some “creative thinking.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Gov. Bryant intervening in same-sex couple's divorce
- Vicksburg mayor marries during lunch break
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- School superintendent says he never intended to hire wife's uncle, but recommended him
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- MBJ's Business Marketplace set for Friday at Mississippi's Trade Mart