Consultant advises city to expand convention center
Published: March 12,2013
NATCHEZ — Natchez Convention Center managers say a multi-million-dollar expansion of the center will be needed in two years.
The Natchez Democrat reports New Orleans Hotel Consultants president Warren Reuther told Mayor Butch Brown and aldermen at a meeting last week that the center is rapidly approaching 70-percent capacity.
Convention center manager Walter Tipton said the convention center is turning away events because of lack of space, mainly wedding receptions.
Reuther says the convention center is also in need of $174,500 in repairs, including resurfacing the exhibit hall floor and repairs to the sound system, elevator and repainting.
Brown said paying for repairs and an expansion of the convention center will require some “creative thinking.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- McDaniel alleges GOP race-baiting; says party should be 'purged'
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Mississippi Power conducts successful tests at Kemper plant
- Police find Attorney General Hood's stolen handgun
- Seafood dealer/processor guilty of illegal handling of oysters
- Medical transportation company opening operation/call center
- Pickwick Pines settles lawsuit; pays $260K