Foundation launches fundraiser for new health center
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 12,2013
HATTIESBURG — The University of Southern Mississippi is on its way to transforming the quality of health care provided to students, faculty and staff.
The USM Foundation announced the Moffitt Health Center Campaign, which will aid in the relocation of the University’s Student Health Services to a new, state-of-the-art facility. The $1-million campaign has already received $750,000 in commitments toward the center.
The Moffitt Health Center, to be located on the first floor of Century Park South Building A, will allow Student Health Services to provide preventive care, health education services and co-curricular activities in a facility central to the heart of student living at Southern Miss.
Century Park South is the proposed residential living complex currently under development on the north side of the Hattiesburg campus just across West Fourth Street from the current Century Park residence halls. Century Park South will house 950 students and will also serve as the base of operations for the University’s Luckyday Citizenship Scholars Program. Vann Hall, Scott Hall and part of Bond Hall are being razed to make way for the project.
The Moffitt Health Center would replace the Beedie Smith Health Clinic, a free-standing building that opened on the Hattiesburg campus in 1962.
Gifts to the Moffitt Health Center Campaign will allow the facility to increase the square footage dedicated to Student Health Services by 30 percent, providing much-needed space for more efficient laboratory and X-ray activity, larger health care provider work areas, a more accessible pharmacy and a dental care area. The $1 million campaign has already received an initial donation of $750,000.
The facility will also feature new classroom space, which will allow the staff to provide a broader range of health education opportunities. The patient environment will improve with the addition of separate sick visit and well visit waiting rooms and 15 private exam rooms that will increase efficiency and patient confidentiality.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge intends to rule on McDaniel's challenge before general election
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- (UPDATE) I-20 partially closed as vehicle carrying hazardous materials burns
- Coast family wins $644K in tideland lawsuit against state
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Corps official: River needs larger ports, locks and dams
- C Spire, UM installing Wi-Fi network at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium
- State’s MAGIC accounting system works, albeit with glitches