January unemployment jumped more than half-percent
by Associated Press
Published: March 13,2013
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Mississippi’s unemployment jumped to 9.3 percent in January, wiping out almost a year’s worth of job gains.
The state’s unemployment rate was 8.6 percent in December and 10 percent rate in January 2012.
The number of people who reported having a job fell even as the state’s labor force shrank. Mississippi reported 141,000 unemployed people in December, up from 123,000 in December and 135,000 in January 2012.
The state’s job market grew in the fall after hitting a rough patch in the middle of 2012. Overall performance has been feeble, with 4 percent fewer people with jobs than in January 2008.
A separate survey of employer payrolls shows nonfarm employees fell slightly from December but remained above levels of January 2012.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Eye clinic operator faces Medicaid fraud charges
- Mega-load move could cause traffic issues
- New boutique hotel to replace Oxford’s Downtown Inn
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- Coast city to repay BP grant funding for Ocean Expo
- New owners plan cautious change for Highland Village
- M&F branches to close as Renasant wraps up merger
- Gaming Commission gives nod to Coast city's first casino
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law
- Judge to weigh Hood's credit card issuer lawsuit