Former lawmaker wins mayor’s race by default
Published: March 19,2013
GULFPORT — Republican Billy Hewes III will be the new mayor of Gulfport.
Hewes’ opponent, Democrat Billy Barnes, dropped out of the race this past week, and Hewes is the only other candidate.
The general election is June 4.
Incumbent Mayor George Schloegel isn’t seeking a second term.
Hewes served 20 years in the Mississippi Senate — his last four years as the chamber’s president pro tempore — second in command to the lieutenant governor. He is an insurance agent in Gulfport.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years