Former lawmaker wins mayor’s race by default
Published: March 19,2013
GULFPORT — Republican Billy Hewes III will be the new mayor of Gulfport.
Hewes’ opponent, Democrat Billy Barnes, dropped out of the race this past week, and Hewes is the only other candidate.
The general election is June 4.
Incumbent Mayor George Schloegel isn’t seeking a second term.
Hewes served 20 years in the Mississippi Senate — his last four years as the chamber’s president pro tempore — second in command to the lieutenant governor. He is an insurance agent in Gulfport.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Ole Miss chancellor: Talks continue over job status
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- Law to bolster utilities’ economic development efforts gets mixed reactions