Former lawmaker wins mayor’s race by default
by Associated Press
Published: March 19,2013
GULFPORT — Republican Billy Hewes III will be the new mayor of Gulfport.
Hewes’ opponent, Democrat Billy Barnes, dropped out of the race this past week, and Hewes is the only other candidate.
The general election is June 4.
Incumbent Mayor George Schloegel isn’t seeking a second term.
Hewes served 20 years in the Mississippi Senate — his last four years as the chamber’s president pro tempore — second in command to the lieutenant governor. He is an insurance agent in Gulfport.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Doctor's murder-for-hire case postponed, mental evaluation pending
- ACLU could sue over state's new school prayer law
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Hatchery releases largemouth bass fingerlings in three rivers
- Bill exempting small farms from fuel storage regs passes Senate
- John Fletcher joins Jones Walker