Former lawmaker wins mayor’s race by default
by Associated Press
Published: March 19,2013
GULFPORT — Republican Billy Hewes III will be the new mayor of Gulfport.
Hewes’ opponent, Democrat Billy Barnes, dropped out of the race this past week, and Hewes is the only other candidate.
The general election is June 4.
Incumbent Mayor George Schloegel isn’t seeking a second term.
Hewes served 20 years in the Mississippi Senate — his last four years as the chamber’s president pro tempore — second in command to the lieutenant governor. He is an insurance agent in Gulfport.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Tallahatchie General’s listing on auditor’s ‘watchline’ an image set back, CEO says
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Ex-city worker arrested on false pretense charge