Mayoral candidate’s cause of death still unknown
Published: March 29,2013
CLARKSDALE — More than a month has passed since Clarksdale mayoral candidate Marco McMillian was found dead, but the cause of death remains largely a mystery pending an autopsy report.
McMillian’s body was found Feb. 27 in Coahoma County.
Coahoma County Coroner Scotty Meredith says the state crime lab is waiting for an investigative report from the sheriff’s office. He says that will be incorporated into the autopsy report before it’s released.
Will Rooker, a sheriff’s spokesman, had no immediate comment yesterday.
Lawrence Reed is charged with murder, but authorities haven’t released a possible motive.
Carter Womack, McMillian’s godfather, says the family is frustrated by the lack of information.
McMillian’s death got widespread attention after his campaign said he was openly gay, leading some to suspect a hate crime was committed.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Court rules board can discipline West Virginia radiologist
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Peavey Electronics reorganizing under new globalization plan
- Legislators begin work on FY2016 state budget
- Canadian company purchasing Southern Lumber for nearly $50M