Mayoral candidate’s cause of death still unknown
by Associated Press
Published: March 29,2013
CLARKSDALE — More than a month has passed since Clarksdale mayoral candidate Marco McMillian was found dead, but the cause of death remains largely a mystery pending an autopsy report.
McMillian’s body was found Feb. 27 in Coahoma County.
Coahoma County Coroner Scotty Meredith says the state crime lab is waiting for an investigative report from the sheriff’s office. He says that will be incorporated into the autopsy report before it’s released.
Will Rooker, a sheriff’s spokesman, had no immediate comment yesterday.
Lawrence Reed is charged with murder, but authorities haven’t released a possible motive.
Carter Womack, McMillian’s godfather, says the family is frustrated by the lack of information.
McMillian’s death got widespread attention after his campaign said he was openly gay, leading some to suspect a hate crime was committed.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi