Mayoral candidate’s cause of death still unknown
Published: March 29,2013
CLARKSDALE — More than a month has passed since Clarksdale mayoral candidate Marco McMillian was found dead, but the cause of death remains largely a mystery pending an autopsy report.
McMillian’s body was found Feb. 27 in Coahoma County.
Coahoma County Coroner Scotty Meredith says the state crime lab is waiting for an investigative report from the sheriff’s office. He says that will be incorporated into the autopsy report before it’s released.
Will Rooker, a sheriff’s spokesman, had no immediate comment yesterday.
Lawrence Reed is charged with murder, but authorities haven’t released a possible motive.
Carter Womack, McMillian’s godfather, says the family is frustrated by the lack of information.
McMillian’s death got widespread attention after his campaign said he was openly gay, leading some to suspect a hate crime was committed.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project