Mayoral candidate’s cause of death still unknown
Published: March 29,2013
CLARKSDALE — More than a month has passed since Clarksdale mayoral candidate Marco McMillian was found dead, but the cause of death remains largely a mystery pending an autopsy report.
McMillian’s body was found Feb. 27 in Coahoma County.
Coahoma County Coroner Scotty Meredith says the state crime lab is waiting for an investigative report from the sheriff’s office. He says that will be incorporated into the autopsy report before it’s released.
Will Rooker, a sheriff’s spokesman, had no immediate comment yesterday.
Lawrence Reed is charged with murder, but authorities haven’t released a possible motive.
Carter Womack, McMillian’s godfather, says the family is frustrated by the lack of information.
McMillian’s death got widespread attention after his campaign said he was openly gay, leading some to suspect a hate crime was committed.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Locker doors opening for Clinton inventor after ‘Shark Tank’
- Barbour to lead Butler Snow economic development firm
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- Status of some bills in the Mississippi Legislature
- DAVID DALLAS: Tax slasher productions comes to Mississippi
- BILL CRAWFORD: Gunn steals tax cut spotlight
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow