Mayoral candidate’s cause of death still unknown
by Associated Press
Published: March 29,2013
CLARKSDALE — More than a month has passed since Clarksdale mayoral candidate Marco McMillian was found dead, but the cause of death remains largely a mystery pending an autopsy report.
McMillian’s body was found Feb. 27 in Coahoma County.
Coahoma County Coroner Scotty Meredith says the state crime lab is waiting for an investigative report from the sheriff’s office. He says that will be incorporated into the autopsy report before it’s released.
Will Rooker, a sheriff’s spokesman, had no immediate comment yesterday.
Lawrence Reed is charged with murder, but authorities haven’t released a possible motive.
Carter Womack, McMillian’s godfather, says the family is frustrated by the lack of information.
McMillian’s death got widespread attention after his campaign said he was openly gay, leading some to suspect a hate crime was committed.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- CARTOON — Nobile illustrates Thad Cochran's most significant advantage over the competition
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- Judge denies ex-mayor's motion to vacate Katrina-related conviction
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Wiseman retiring after nearly 30 years with Stennis Institute
- Real estate developer to plead guilty to wetlands violation
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State