Sullivan elected president
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 29,2013
Charles L. Sullivan, professor emeritus and archivist at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, has been elected president of the Mississippi Historical Society. He was named vice president in 2012 and elevated to the presidency during the most recent annual meeting. He will serve as president for one year.
Sullivan is the author of “The Mississippi Gulf Coast: Portrait of a People” (1985), “Hurricanes of the Mississippi Gulf Coast” (1986), “Hurricanes of the Mississippi Gulf Coast: Three Centuries of Destruction” (2009), “Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College: A History, 1911-2000″ (2002), “Down South with the Dixie Press” (2006) and “Gulf Coast Album: A Journey in Historic Photographs 1899-2011 From New Orleans Across the Mississippi Gulf Coast to Mobile” (2011). In collaboration with Bourbon Hughes, he produced “Valor Remembered: 20th Century War Dead of the State of Mississippi” (1996).
Named Biloxi Historian of the Year in 1987, Sullivan was also the recipient of the Director’s Award for Preservation of Mississippi Culture by the Mississippi Humanities Council (2008), the Dunbar Rowland Award from the Mississippi Historical Society in recognition of his lifelong contributions to the preservation, study and interpretation of Mississippi history (2010) and the Mary Ellen Alexander Award from the Long Beach Historical Society (2013).
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- George Flaggs regrets repayment flaw in lending law
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Chefs John Folse and Rick Tramonto are dotting every ‘i’ and crossing every ‘t’ in the development of Seafood R’evolution, which is set to open in November
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments