Lab owner’s attorney: No plans to use pay-back defense
Published: April 3,2013
WATER VALLEY — A defense lawyer for a laboratory owner says she had no plans to suggest that her client was targeted for prosecution because of her environmental activism.
Abby Brumley made the statement yesterday in a filing for Tennie White in U.S. District Court in Jackson.
White owns Mississippi Environmental Analytical Laboratories Inc. She was indicted Nov. 7 on charges of faking wastewater samples that she was hired to test for a company in Mississippi.
Last week, prosecutors said White shouldn’t be allowed to tell jurors that she’s being targeted for criticizing environmental agencies.
Brumley’s filing says she didn’t plan a retaliation defense and “made this point clear” to prosecutors.
She also says the prosecution request should be denied as defendants have a right to present a defense through evidence.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- Mississippi takes an incentives licking, keeps on ticking
- (VIDEO) ALAN TURNER: Wilson says he’s ready for elected office
- Choctaws' new hospital nearing completion
- Bill would open hospital meetings, expand records access
- Mississippi furniture makers on rebound with more exports