Lab owner’s attorney: No plans to use pay-back defense
Published: April 3,2013
WATER VALLEY — A defense lawyer for a laboratory owner says she had no plans to suggest that her client was targeted for prosecution because of her environmental activism.
Abby Brumley made the statement yesterday in a filing for Tennie White in U.S. District Court in Jackson.
White owns Mississippi Environmental Analytical Laboratories Inc. She was indicted Nov. 7 on charges of faking wastewater samples that she was hired to test for a company in Mississippi.
Last week, prosecutors said White shouldn’t be allowed to tell jurors that she’s being targeted for criticizing environmental agencies.
Brumley’s filing says she didn’t plan a retaliation defense and “made this point clear” to prosecutors.
She also says the prosecution request should be denied as defendants have a right to present a defense through evidence.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- Judicial candidates put on ballot after rejection of challenges
- Judge expected to rule today on McDaniel's challenge of loss to Cochran
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'