Lab owner’s attorney: No plans to use pay-back defense
by Associated Press
Published: April 3,2013
WATER VALLEY — A defense lawyer for a laboratory owner says she had no plans to suggest that her client was targeted for prosecution because of her environmental activism.
Abby Brumley made the statement yesterday in a filing for Tennie White in U.S. District Court in Jackson.
White owns Mississippi Environmental Analytical Laboratories Inc. She was indicted Nov. 7 on charges of faking wastewater samples that she was hired to test for a company in Mississippi.
Last week, prosecutors said White shouldn’t be allowed to tell jurors that she’s being targeted for criticizing environmental agencies.
Brumley’s filing says she didn’t plan a retaliation defense and “made this point clear” to prosecutors.
She also says the prosecution request should be denied as defendants have a right to present a defense through evidence.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody