Governor’s nominee for DMR chief confirmed by Senate
Published: April 5,2013
BILOXI — Senators have confirmed Jamie Miller of Gulfport as executive director of the Biloxi-based Mississippi Department of Marine Resources.
Senate Ports and Marine Resources Committee members on Wednesday quizzed Miller about how he’ll manage the agency that has had financial problems in recent months. The agency’s former executive director, Bill Walker of Ocean Springs, was terminated Jan. 15 amid questions about misspending.
Miller, who was nominated by Gov. Phil Bryant, said he’ll do a 60-day review of MDMR operations. He also pledged the agency will be transparent and accountable to the public.
Miller has a degree in environmental science and started his career 16 years ago at MDMR. He also worked on Hurricane Katrina recovery under former Gov. Haley Barbour and was chief of staff for Republican U.S. Rep. Steven Palazzo.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer