Governor’s nominee for DMR chief confirmed by Senate
by Associated Press
Published: April 5,2013
BILOXI — Senators have confirmed Jamie Miller of Gulfport as executive director of the Biloxi-based Mississippi Department of Marine Resources.
Senate Ports and Marine Resources Committee members on Wednesday quizzed Miller about how he’ll manage the agency that has had financial problems in recent months. The agency’s former executive director, Bill Walker of Ocean Springs, was terminated Jan. 15 amid questions about misspending.
Miller, who was nominated by Gov. Phil Bryant, said he’ll do a 60-day review of MDMR operations. He also pledged the agency will be transparent and accountable to the public.
Miller has a degree in environmental science and started his career 16 years ago at MDMR. He also worked on Hurricane Katrina recovery under former Gov. Haley Barbour and was chief of staff for Republican U.S. Rep. Steven Palazzo.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast
- Crowded field lines up for Jackson mayoral election
- Boyd Gaming reports drop in in-state net revenue
- Another fiberhood qualifies for C Spire 1-gigabit Internet service
- Cochran questions nominee concerning Stanford ponzi scheme