Governor’s nominee for DMR chief confirmed by Senate
Published: April 5,2013
BILOXI — Senators have confirmed Jamie Miller of Gulfport as executive director of the Biloxi-based Mississippi Department of Marine Resources.
Senate Ports and Marine Resources Committee members on Wednesday quizzed Miller about how he’ll manage the agency that has had financial problems in recent months. The agency’s former executive director, Bill Walker of Ocean Springs, was terminated Jan. 15 amid questions about misspending.
Miller, who was nominated by Gov. Phil Bryant, said he’ll do a 60-day review of MDMR operations. He also pledged the agency will be transparent and accountable to the public.
Miller has a degree in environmental science and started his career 16 years ago at MDMR. He also worked on Hurricane Katrina recovery under former Gov. Haley Barbour and was chief of staff for Republican U.S. Rep. Steven Palazzo.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- CSpire offering 1Phone 6, IPhone 6 Plus on Sept. 19
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- MBJ's Business Marketplace set for Sept. 19 at Mississippi's Trade Mart
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Mississippi sounds coming to Americana Music Festival & Conference
- State's corn crop could set new yield record
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation