Governor’s nominee for DMR chief confirmed by Senate
Published: April 5,2013
BILOXI — Senators have confirmed Jamie Miller of Gulfport as executive director of the Biloxi-based Mississippi Department of Marine Resources.
Senate Ports and Marine Resources Committee members on Wednesday quizzed Miller about how he’ll manage the agency that has had financial problems in recent months. The agency’s former executive director, Bill Walker of Ocean Springs, was terminated Jan. 15 amid questions about misspending.
Miller, who was nominated by Gov. Phil Bryant, said he’ll do a 60-day review of MDMR operations. He also pledged the agency will be transparent and accountable to the public.
Miller has a degree in environmental science and started his career 16 years ago at MDMR. He also worked on Hurricane Katrina recovery under former Gov. Haley Barbour and was chief of staff for Republican U.S. Rep. Steven Palazzo.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Barbour to lead Butler Snow economic development firm
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- Delta State conference brings renowned speakers
- (UPDATE) Judge rules on Google request on attorney general inquiry
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- Digital Editions - magazines
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game