Owens handed gavel
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 5,2013
Ed Blakeslee has officially passed the gavel to Bob Owens, the incoming president of the board of trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning. Owens served as vice president of the board during Blakeslee’s term. Trustee Aubrey Patterson will serve as vice president during Owens’ term. Owens was appointed to the IHL board by Gov. Haley Barbour in 2004. His term will expire in May 2015. His a partner in the law firm Owens Moss, PLLC, in Jackson. Owens holds a bachelor’s degree from Jackson State University and earned his law degree from Florida State University College of Law. He is a member of the Mississippi Bar Association, the Mississippi Trial Lawyers Association, the American Association for Justice, and the Charles Clark Chapter of the American Inn of Court. In addition, he is past president of the Magnolia Bar Association and is a past member of the Board of Directors for the Hinds County Bar Association. Named Alumnus of the Year by the JSU Department of History in 1997, Owens has received numerous awards, including the Jack H. Young, Sr. Award for the lawyer contributing the most to the profession, the R. Jess Brown Award, and the NAACP of Mississippi’s Lawyer of the Year Award. In 1993, he was appointed to a U.S. Magistrate Selection Committee by a Chief United State Judge. He has served on the Mississippi Supreme Court Rules Advisory Committee and the Mississippi Bar Disciplinary Complaints Tribunal. Owens is married to Chancellor Denise Sweet Owens. They have four children, Selika, Bobby, Brittany and Jason.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data