Study finds in-home care costs continuing to spiral
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 10,2013
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — In its 10th year, the Genworth 2013 Cost of Care Survey shows the cost to receive care at home in Mississippi through a home health aide increased over the past five years.
On a national level, the survey shows a dramatic increase in facility-based care such as an assisted living facility or nursing home, while the cost to receive care at home through homemaker services or a home health aide is rising at a much more gradual pace.
Nationally, the 2013 median hourly cost of homemaker services and home health aide services is $18 and $19, respectively. Homemaker costs nationally have risen just 0.8 percent annually over the past five years and home health aide services have risen 1.0 percent annually over the past five years.
In Mississippi, the median hourly cost of homemaker services is $17 and the median hourly cost of home health aide services is $17. The median hourly cost for homemaker services in Mississippi has increased 2.9 percent annually over the past five years and the hourly cost of home health aide services has increased 2.5 percent over the same period of time.
By comparison, the median annual cost for care in an assisted living facility is $41,400 nationally and $36,000 in Mississippi. The national yearly cost of assisted living has increased 4.3 percent a year over the past five years and increased 5.5 percent over the same time period in Mississippi. The comparable cost for a private nursing home room rose 4.5 percent annualized over the past five years to $83,950 nationally, and increased 3.8 percent over the past five years to $75,738 in Mississippi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Study finds in-home care costs continuing to spiral”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager