Study finds in-home care costs continuing to spiral
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 10,2013
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — In its 10th year, the Genworth 2013 Cost of Care Survey shows the cost to receive care at home in Mississippi through a home health aide increased over the past five years.
On a national level, the survey shows a dramatic increase in facility-based care such as an assisted living facility or nursing home, while the cost to receive care at home through homemaker services or a home health aide is rising at a much more gradual pace.
Nationally, the 2013 median hourly cost of homemaker services and home health aide services is $18 and $19, respectively. Homemaker costs nationally have risen just 0.8 percent annually over the past five years and home health aide services have risen 1.0 percent annually over the past five years.
In Mississippi, the median hourly cost of homemaker services is $17 and the median hourly cost of home health aide services is $17. The median hourly cost for homemaker services in Mississippi has increased 2.9 percent annually over the past five years and the hourly cost of home health aide services has increased 2.5 percent over the same period of time.
By comparison, the median annual cost for care in an assisted living facility is $41,400 nationally and $36,000 in Mississippi. The national yearly cost of assisted living has increased 4.3 percent a year over the past five years and increased 5.5 percent over the same time period in Mississippi. The comparable cost for a private nursing home room rose 4.5 percent annualized over the past five years to $83,950 nationally, and increased 3.8 percent over the past five years to $75,738 in Mississippi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Study finds in-home care costs continuing to spiral”
Top Posts & Pages
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- Alcorn's finances being investigated; CFO resigns
- Keeping our eye on... Liz Lancaster
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- GOP Sen. Thad Cochran to run for seventh term
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law
- Texas company buys Tuscaloosa Marine Shale leases