Study finds in-home care costs continuing to spiral
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 10,2013
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — In its 10th year, the Genworth 2013 Cost of Care Survey shows the cost to receive care at home in Mississippi through a home health aide increased over the past five years.
On a national level, the survey shows a dramatic increase in facility-based care such as an assisted living facility or nursing home, while the cost to receive care at home through homemaker services or a home health aide is rising at a much more gradual pace.
Nationally, the 2013 median hourly cost of homemaker services and home health aide services is $18 and $19, respectively. Homemaker costs nationally have risen just 0.8 percent annually over the past five years and home health aide services have risen 1.0 percent annually over the past five years.
In Mississippi, the median hourly cost of homemaker services is $17 and the median hourly cost of home health aide services is $17. The median hourly cost for homemaker services in Mississippi has increased 2.9 percent annually over the past five years and the hourly cost of home health aide services has increased 2.5 percent over the same period of time.
By comparison, the median annual cost for care in an assisted living facility is $41,400 nationally and $36,000 in Mississippi. The national yearly cost of assisted living has increased 4.3 percent a year over the past five years and increased 5.5 percent over the same time period in Mississippi. The comparable cost for a private nursing home room rose 4.5 percent annualized over the past five years to $83,950 nationally, and increased 3.8 percent over the past five years to $75,738 in Mississippi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Study finds in-home care costs continuing to spiral”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Baker Donelson's David A. Rueff Jr. co-authors guide