Meat packer recalls product, could be contaminated
by Associated Press
Published: April 11,2013
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — A Louisiana meat-packing company has recalled 20,166 pounds of potentially bacteria-tainted cooked roast beef deli meat.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service said Manda Packing Co., based in Baker, La., is recalling the meat that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
Food contaminated with the bacterium can cause a serious infection known as listeriosis, an uncommon but potentially fatal disease. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the disease primarily affects older adults, pregnant women, newborns and adults with weakened immune systems.
The possibly tainted products were packed Feb. 27 and shipped for distribution and to retail deli stores in Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma, Illinois and Tennessee.
The recall includes Manda Supreme Roast Beef, Four Star Cajun Roast Beef, Four Star Roast Beef, Cajun Prize Roast Beef, Manda Supreme Natural Roast Beef, Manda Natural Roast Beef, Manda New Orleans Style Roast Beef and Manda Whole Wet Pack Roast Beef.
Each package has a “Sell by” date of May 13, 2013, and bears the establishment number “EST. 8746A” inside the USDA mark of inspection.
Officials say the company has not received any reports of illnesses associated with the products.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- JACKSON JILTED —Southwest Airlines pulling up stakes and leaving Mississippi
- Eye clinic operator faces Medicaid fraud charges
- Mega-load move could cause traffic issues
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- New boutique hotel to replace Oxford’s Downtown Inn
- New owners plan cautious change for Highland Village
- M&F branches to close as Renasant wraps up merger
- Gaming Commission gives nod to Coast city's first casino
- Coast city to repay BP grant funding for Ocean Expo
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law