Meat packer recalls product, could be contaminated
Published: April 11,2013
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — A Louisiana meat-packing company has recalled 20,166 pounds of potentially bacteria-tainted cooked roast beef deli meat.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service said Manda Packing Co., based in Baker, La., is recalling the meat that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
Food contaminated with the bacterium can cause a serious infection known as listeriosis, an uncommon but potentially fatal disease. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the disease primarily affects older adults, pregnant women, newborns and adults with weakened immune systems.
The possibly tainted products were packed Feb. 27 and shipped for distribution and to retail deli stores in Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma, Illinois and Tennessee.
The recall includes Manda Supreme Roast Beef, Four Star Cajun Roast Beef, Four Star Roast Beef, Cajun Prize Roast Beef, Manda Supreme Natural Roast Beef, Manda Natural Roast Beef, Manda New Orleans Style Roast Beef and Manda Whole Wet Pack Roast Beef.
Each package has a “Sell by” date of May 13, 2013, and bears the establishment number “EST. 8746A” inside the USDA mark of inspection.
Officials say the company has not received any reports of illnesses associated with the products.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit