Grocer recalls apple juice for possible ‘patulin’
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 15,2013
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Jacksonville, Fla.-based Winn-Dixie is voluntarily recalling 64 fluid ounce Winn-Dixie Organic 100% Apple Juice. The product is being recalled as a precaution because it could have levels of “patulin” that exceed FDA limits. Winn-Dixie has received no reports of any issues associated with Winn-Dixie Organic 100% Apple Juice consumption.
Patulin is a mycotoxin, a by-product of some molds that can grow in fruits and vegetables. The possibility of adverse health consequences resulting from this product is very remote. However, the FDA has determined that products made from concentrate with a patulin level of over 50 parts per billion are subject to a voluntary recall.
Out of an abundance of caution for customers, Winn-Dixie is immediately recalling “64 FL OZ Winn-Dixie Organic 100% Apple Juice from Concentrate with Added Ingredient.” The recall is companywide for Winn-Dixie stores in the states of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana.
|Winn-Dixie Organic 100% Apple Juice||2114021626||64 FL. OZ.|
|Exp. Dates:||Between 1/15/2014 and 3/25/2014|
“We encourage customers in possession of any of the recalled item to immediately discard the product or bring it back to their store,” said Brian Wright, senior director of Winn-Dixie corporate communications. “Customers who have purchased the product may visit their neighborhood Winn-Dixie to request a full refund, no questions asked.”
To receive the refund, customers may present proof of purchase through a receipt or the product packaging label.
Consumers with questions about the recalled products may contact the Winn-Dixie Customer Service Center toll free at 1.866.WINN-DIXIE (866.946.6349) Mon.–Fri., 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EDT; and Sat., 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. EDT.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — State roots key to Edge Theory's Joe Stradinger
- ALAN TURNER — The ‘Internet of things’ is focus of Camgian's Gary Butler
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Cochran's attorneys argue for dismissal of McDaniel's lawsuit
- Federal charges dropped against Shumate after guilty plea
- MEMA warns of hottest temperatures of the year