Report: Counties generally prepared for last Election Day
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 15,2013
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Despite a high number of last-minute voter registrations, the Mississippi Secretary of State’s Office found counties statewide were well prepared for one of the highest levels of voter turnout in Mississippi history.
This is according to a report from Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann’s office.
“The number of voters in this Presidential election closely mirrored the number of voters in the 2008 general election,” said Hosemann. “This election report gives the Legislature and the public insight into the electoral process in our state.”
Preparations for the over 1.2 million votes cast in the General Election are outlined in the 2012 General Election Day Activity Report. The report also details Election Day issues noted by the agency and the observers sent to 40 counties across the State.
Some of those issues included:
• Distributing and receiving ballots for emergency responders
• Inappropriate voter assistance, “too many to count” in one instance
• Campaigning too close to the polls
• A failure of some counties to timely certify their elections
• Lack of signage.
The Secretary of State is required by law to report on elections to the state Legislature, governor and public on election day issues. Violations are referred to the attorney general and local district attorneys.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Firm adds Brian T. Alexander
- Williams Brothers General Store is something to count on
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast