County offering incentives for new manufacturing plant
Published: April 18,2013
COLUMBUS — Lowndes County will apply for $6.6 million in grants and loans to support the location a facility for a building material manufacturer.
Golden Triangle Development Link CEO Joe Max Higgins said CalStar Products would create at least 58 jobs and possibly up to 100 within the next three years. CalStar opened a plant in Caledonia, Wis., in 2010.
The Commercial Dispatch reports the county will apply for a 20-year, $5.35 million loan through the Mississippi Development Authority. It will use $2.85 million to buy the property for CalStar and use the remainder to help with construction of the facility. CalStar must provide a letter of commitment by June 7 from lenders for $5 million to complete the project.
The county will also apply for $1.25 million in Community Development Block Grant funding for additional property improvements.
Higgins said once the facility is complete, the county would lease it to CalStar and have the option to transfer it to the Lowndes County Industrial Development Authority.
Higgins said as part of the agreement, CalStar would maintain the jobs they create and failure to do so would result in financial penalties.
“Several months ago CalStar came in and started looking into doing their Southeast search of locations for their second facility,” Higgins said. “We fully expect this project to create 100 jobs when it’s completed, but for CDBG purposes, (58) is the number that’s required to guarantee the grant we’re requesting.”
Higgins said industrial developer Agracel, which the Link partnered with to build a facility in Golden Triangle Industrial Park, has agreed to sell the 23.4-acre site to CalStar for $2.85 million. Earnest money totaling $150,000 has been transferred for CalStar to keep Agracel from leasing the property to another prospect.
Higgins said CalStar’s exterior masonry products include pavers and bricks used for facades, streetscapes and parking lots.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Planters Bank promotes at 3 locations
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years