National Trust names Coast city as award winner
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 19,2013
OCEAN SPRINGS — The National Trust for Historic Preservation has selected the city of Ocean Springs as a 2013 Great American Main Street Awards (GAMSA) winner.
Recognized as a leader in implementing the Main Street Four-Point Approach, embracing historic preservation practices and building strategic partnerships, Ocean Springs Main Street was honored at the annual National Main Streets Conference in New Orleans.
The National Main Street Center’s annual GAMSA awards recognize exceptional accomplishments in revitalizing the nation’s historic Main Street commercial districts.
“Ocean Springs is a spectacular example of how the Main Street Four-Point Approach can be used to lead a community out of crisis — not once, but twice,” says Valecia Crisafulli, acting director of National Main Street Center, referring to Hurricane Katrina and the BP oil spill. “When the Main Street program set up shop in 1980, commercial vacancies were at 80 percent. Today, that number is zero. Ocean Springs’ transformation is truly remarkable and powerful evidence of the power of an arts-based economy to fuel downtown revitalization.”
The other two 2013 winners are H Street Main Street in Washington, D.C., and Rochester Downtown Development Authority in Rochester, Mich.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- Quapaw Canoe Company gains legislative support in battle with tax department
- The link between education and economic development
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- Expeditors working out logistics to open Jackson office next month