Storm spawns perhaps two twisters, no injuries/damge reported yet
Published: April 19,2013
MISSISSIPPI DELTA — A National Weather Service spokesman says storm chasers caught video of a tornado touching down yesterday in rural Sharkey County in the Mississippi Delta.
The tornado was spotted near Nitta Yuma at 5:22 p.m. CDT. There were no immediate reports of injuries or property damage.
The spokesman says there also were reports of a possible tornado near Leland.
NWS forecasters say a cold front brought the possibility of strong tornadoes, damaging winds, large hail and flash flooding to the area.
The forecast called for severe weather threats to increase in Mississippi yesterday afternoon, with greater chances of rain and storms overnight. Wind gusts as high as 35 mph and rain of 2 inches or more could be recorded in the northern Delta region and around Memphis.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal