Storm spawns perhaps two twisters, no injuries/damge reported yet
Published: April 19,2013
MISSISSIPPI DELTA — A National Weather Service spokesman says storm chasers caught video of a tornado touching down yesterday in rural Sharkey County in the Mississippi Delta.
The tornado was spotted near Nitta Yuma at 5:22 p.m. CDT. There were no immediate reports of injuries or property damage.
The spokesman says there also were reports of a possible tornado near Leland.
NWS forecasters say a cold front brought the possibility of strong tornadoes, damaging winds, large hail and flash flooding to the area.
The forecast called for severe weather threats to increase in Mississippi yesterday afternoon, with greater chances of rain and storms overnight. Wind gusts as high as 35 mph and rain of 2 inches or more could be recorded in the northern Delta region and around Memphis.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge moves McDaniel's lawsuit challenging loss to Cochran
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- Scientists seeing more invasive trapjaw ants on Coast
- Trop Greenville ahead of schedule on significant expansion
- Judge rules for Fish and Wildlife Service in frog habitat case
- Diamondhead Casino Corporation wins site approval