Storm spawns perhaps two twisters, no injuries/damge reported yet
Published: April 19,2013
MISSISSIPPI DELTA — A National Weather Service spokesman says storm chasers caught video of a tornado touching down yesterday in rural Sharkey County in the Mississippi Delta.
The tornado was spotted near Nitta Yuma at 5:22 p.m. CDT. There were no immediate reports of injuries or property damage.
The spokesman says there also were reports of a possible tornado near Leland.
NWS forecasters say a cold front brought the possibility of strong tornadoes, damaging winds, large hail and flash flooding to the area.
The forecast called for severe weather threats to increase in Mississippi yesterday afternoon, with greater chances of rain and storms overnight. Wind gusts as high as 35 mph and rain of 2 inches or more could be recorded in the northern Delta region and around Memphis.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- McDaniel files legal arguments as he looks to overturn Cochran loss
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Fitch gives Mississippi Power a negative outlook due to Kemper plant
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- Payday lender expects clean bill from regulators