Keeping Our Eye On Kamel King
Published: April 26,2013
Entertainment Attorney, Frascogna & Courtney Law Firm
You could literally say that Kamel King was born into the entertainment industry.
The son of a James Brown promoter, Kamel King grew up behind-the-scenes of the music industry, a business that King calls a “living, breathing and evolving creature.”
“Even in my off time, I surround myself with music and music-related events, checking out new artists and being around event and music production,” King says.
After graduating from Murrah High School, King attended Tougaloo College on a full academic scholarship studying political science and international relations. He worked for U.S. Rep. Bennie Thompson before earning a law degree from Mississippi College School of Law.
As an entertainment lawyer for Frascogna & Courtney Law Firm in Jackson, King specializes in intellectual property, negotiating, copyrights and trademarks.
In addition to representing a pantheon of musical artists, King serves as in-house counsel and manager for Blackberry Records and Terminal Recording Studios and has helped produce four Grammy-sponsored music events, including three in Mississippi that were hosted by former Gov. Haley Barbour.
“When you are feverishly chasing your dreams, it seems as if it totally absorbs your identity. It is a mission,” King advises young professionals. “If you don’t live, breathe, dream about, pray, cry, suffer and surround yourself in the lifestyle, you will never make it to the professional league.”
Best thing about Mississippi: “It most certainly is the birthplace of America’s music as well as having some of the most kind-hearted people known to man.”
Best Mississippi event: Grammy Legacy Event
Favorite Mississippi food: Greens and cornbread
First job ever: Concession restaurant worker at Waterland Waterpark
Favorite Music Genre: Hip hop
Favorite TV Show: “Celebrity Ghost Stories”
Favorite Movie: “Road to Perdition”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Keeping Our Eye On Kamel King”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Kemper County plant will cost at least another $496M to complete
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- State Sen. Gandy hospitalized in South America
- Cochran calls on EPA for review of Yazoo Backwater Project
- Camgian launches Internet of Things product called Egburt
- Number of requests for general election absentee ballots roughly same as primary
- Former Mississippi First Lady Carroll Waller dies at 87
- After string of losses, O'Hara sees himself as Senate 'protest vote'