County borrowing to buy land from alternative fuels company
Published: May 2,2013
NATCHEZ — Adams County will borrow the $9 million it now needs to buy the former International Paper property from Rentech.
County officials announced earlier this week they had reached a deal with Rentech for the 478-acre property.
Officials tell the Natchez Democrat the board of supervisors will adopt a resolution to issue bonds for the $9 million. Local residents will have the opportunity to petition for an election before the bonds are issued.
Natchez Inc. executive director Chandler Russ said the property had to be purchased as a whole unit because Rentech was not interested in parceling it off.
Russ says Natchez Inc. is now working with the competing bidders about the use of the property, and five potential industrial clients are interested in the property in some fashion.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren