County borrowing to buy land from alternative fuels company
Published: May 2,2013
NATCHEZ — Adams County will borrow the $9 million it now needs to buy the former International Paper property from Rentech.
County officials announced earlier this week they had reached a deal with Rentech for the 478-acre property.
Officials tell the Natchez Democrat the board of supervisors will adopt a resolution to issue bonds for the $9 million. Local residents will have the opportunity to petition for an election before the bonds are issued.
Natchez Inc. executive director Chandler Russ said the property had to be purchased as a whole unit because Rentech was not interested in parceling it off.
Russ says Natchez Inc. is now working with the competing bidders about the use of the property, and five potential industrial clients are interested in the property in some fashion.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office