More segments of beach closed due to water quality issues
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 2,2013
Tags: advisory, bacteria, beach, contaminant, contaminate, contamination, outdoors, pollutant, pollute, pollution, public health, public safety, state agency, swim, swimmer, swimming, tourist, vacation, visitor, water, water pollution, water quality
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ), through its Beach Monitoring Program, has issued water contact advisories for five sampling stations.
These segments of beach are not closed; however, there may be an increased risk of illness associated with swimming in these areas.
The affected stations are:
• Station 1 — Lakeshore (from the Silver Slipper to the jetty near Poinset)
• Station 2 — Buccaneer State Park (near State Park Road)
• Station 3 — Waveland (from Oak Boulevard to Farve Street)
• Station 5 — Pass Christian West (from Fort Henry Avenue to Elliot Street)
• Station 10B — East Courthouse Road Beach (from Courthouse Road east to
Stations 4 and 10 remain on advisories already issued.
One advisory has been lifted. It is Station 8 at Gulfport West, which extends from Marie Avenue east to Camp Avenue.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- George Flaggs regrets repayment flaw in lending law
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Chefs John Folse and Rick Tramonto are dotting every ‘i’ and crossing every ‘t’ in the development of Seafood R’evolution, which is set to open in November
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments