Mayor wants tax increase to pay for sportsplex
Published: May 6,2013
BRANDON — Mayor Butch Lee is proposing a 2 percent additional tax on food and beverage sales at Brandon restaurants to pay for a multi-field complex focused on baseball.
He says the goals are to allow the city’s Shiloh Park to convert more to soccer and girls fast-pitch softball.
He tells The Clarion-Ledger a sportsplex would put his city in a position to host major regional youth sports tournaments.
Town Hall meetings are scheduled for June 4 and 6.
Lee pictures Brandon as a travel destination for youth sports, akin to Birmingham and Southaven.
Brandon voters would have to approve the tourism tax in a referendum.
Lee says people don’t mind taxes as long as they know where their tax money is being spent.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- DAVID DALLAS — Just how long can Dan stand?
- Cal-Maine income skyrockets as prices rise and costs shrink
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Lawmakers move on bonds despite complaints from colleges and universities
- Grain scandal takes its toll on Delta farmers
- Business groups file briefs in support of Kemper coal plant rehearing
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love