Mayor wants tax increase to pay for sportsplex
Published: May 6,2013
BRANDON — Mayor Butch Lee is proposing a 2 percent additional tax on food and beverage sales at Brandon restaurants to pay for a multi-field complex focused on baseball.
He says the goals are to allow the city’s Shiloh Park to convert more to soccer and girls fast-pitch softball.
He tells The Clarion-Ledger a sportsplex would put his city in a position to host major regional youth sports tournaments.
Town Hall meetings are scheduled for June 4 and 6.
Lee pictures Brandon as a travel destination for youth sports, akin to Birmingham and Southaven.
Brandon voters would have to approve the tourism tax in a referendum.
Lee says people don’t mind taxes as long as they know where their tax money is being spent.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters