Mayor wants tax increase to pay for sportsplex
Published: May 6,2013
BRANDON — Mayor Butch Lee is proposing a 2 percent additional tax on food and beverage sales at Brandon restaurants to pay for a multi-field complex focused on baseball.
He says the goals are to allow the city’s Shiloh Park to convert more to soccer and girls fast-pitch softball.
He tells The Clarion-Ledger a sportsplex would put his city in a position to host major regional youth sports tournaments.
Town Hall meetings are scheduled for June 4 and 6.
Lee pictures Brandon as a travel destination for youth sports, akin to Birmingham and Southaven.
Brandon voters would have to approve the tourism tax in a referendum.
Lee says people don’t mind taxes as long as they know where their tax money is being spent.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- Severstal completes the sale of Columbus plant to Steel Dynamics
- Another marker going up on Mississippi Country Music Trail
- Researchers fly drone into hurricane for the first time
- House votes for transfer of Yellow Creek Port land to state