Mayor wants tax increase to pay for sportsplex
Published: May 6,2013
BRANDON — Mayor Butch Lee is proposing a 2 percent additional tax on food and beverage sales at Brandon restaurants to pay for a multi-field complex focused on baseball.
He says the goals are to allow the city’s Shiloh Park to convert more to soccer and girls fast-pitch softball.
He tells The Clarion-Ledger a sportsplex would put his city in a position to host major regional youth sports tournaments.
Town Hall meetings are scheduled for June 4 and 6.
Lee pictures Brandon as a travel destination for youth sports, akin to Birmingham and Southaven.
Brandon voters would have to approve the tourism tax in a referendum.
Lee says people don’t mind taxes as long as they know where their tax money is being spent.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Haley Barbour: Kemper plant will rival Grand Gulf’s performance
- Longtime Biloxi mayor Holloway resigns
- JOSH MABUS: Make it in Mississippi
- BEN WILLIAMS AND MOLLY JEFFCOAT: Title certificates, reports, commitments & policies: The difference may be your job!
- MDOT commissioner: National group gets it ‘backwards’ on state’s spending on bridge upkeep
- With S&P suit settled, Mississippi set to take on Moody’s over flawed investment ratings
- LOUANN LOFTON: A book of maps for lovers of New Orleans
- Barbour to lead Butler Snow economic development firm
- Proposed ammo ban empties shelves