Mayor wants tax increase to pay for sportsplex
Published: May 6,2013
BRANDON — Mayor Butch Lee is proposing a 2 percent additional tax on food and beverage sales at Brandon restaurants to pay for a multi-field complex focused on baseball.
He says the goals are to allow the city’s Shiloh Park to convert more to soccer and girls fast-pitch softball.
He tells The Clarion-Ledger a sportsplex would put his city in a position to host major regional youth sports tournaments.
Town Hall meetings are scheduled for June 4 and 6.
Lee pictures Brandon as a travel destination for youth sports, akin to Birmingham and Southaven.
Brandon voters would have to approve the tourism tax in a referendum.
Lee says people don’t mind taxes as long as they know where their tax money is being spent.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Hole-by-hole look at Sanderson Farms Championship course at CCJ
- ‘Little Boogaloo’ Eden Brent happy singing the blues
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal