Report: Confidence in Coast economy up modestly
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 7,2013
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Director of research and policy Scott King and the Gulf Coast Business Council Research Foundation has released the quarterly CEO and Business Owners Confidence Report for the first quarter of 2013.
“Confidence in the Gulf Coast’s economy is improving moderately,” said Jack Norris, president of the Gulf Coast Business Council. “This is encouraging but at the same time our CEO’s and business owners have provided insight on issues for the Business Council to monitor, such as the cost of doing business along the Gulf Coast and impending flood insurance changes.”
Some highlights of the study are:
• The overall measure of business confidence on the Mississippi Gulf Coast was 58 in the first quarter of 2013, up one point from the fourth quarter of 2012. A score of 50 would indicate respondents felt the economy was neither improving nor worsening.
• When asked about the current economy – as compared to the previous six months – this specific index achieved a score of 60 for only the fourth time in the last 19 quarters.
• There was improvement with multiple economic indicators including sales tax collections, residential real estate sales and establishment jobs suggesting the Gulf Coast economy was already underway in regards to recovery from the recession.
• One in four respondents indicated plans to hire additional workers within the next six months. 85 percent of respondents indicated either plans to increase staffing levels or maintain their current staffing levels.
• The confidence survey was administered April 15-29. Members of the chambers of commerce that serve all three counties of the Mississippi Gulf Coast as well as members of the Gulf Coast Business Council were surveyed. The respondents totaled 91.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- George Flaggs regrets repayment flaw in lending law
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Chefs John Folse and Rick Tramonto are dotting every ‘i’ and crossing every ‘t’ in the development of Seafood R’evolution, which is set to open in November
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments