Furniture Market date moved, exhibitors could be lost
Published: May 8,2013
TUPELO, Miss. (AP) — The spring Tupelo Furniture Market, originally scheduled for mid-February, will now be held Jan. 16-19.
The fall market will be Aug. 15-18 as planned.
TFM president Kevin Seddon tells the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal the move means the Tupelo date also will be bracketed by the Atlanta International Gift and Home Furnishings Market (Jan. 8-15) and the Dallas Total Home and Gift Market (Jan. 15-21).
Exhibitors will have to decide on which markets to attend.
Seddon said he expects to lose some of those exhibitors.
“There’s really no time between Atlanta and Dallas, and we had to be comfortable with some potential losses,” Seddon said. “But we felt because of tax season, we had to get out in front of it to benefit as many exhibitors and buyers as possible.”
It’s not the first time Tupelo has tried January dates.
In 2009, the renamed winter market was held in late January with a Saturday-Wednesday run. A year later, it was cut down to three days.
The spring market returned to its traditional February run in 2011.
However, many exhibitors and buyers have said they’ve been missing out on the lucrative tax season with the February dates.
Jim Sneed, CEO of Houlka-based Affordable Furniture, said selling furniture is his top priority.
“I’m an upholstered furniture manufacturer, and Tupelo is my market where I do business.
“I think this move will benefit not just the small mom-and-pop dealers, but the mid-size ones, too. The big boys will be there, regardless. But when it’s tax season, when it’s President’s Day weekend, the smaller dealers can’t leave their stores in the middle of February,” Sneed said.
— Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- Senate election ballot approved as McDaniel's challenge continues
- Judge moves McDaniel's lawsuit challenging loss to Cochran