Council gives nod to borrowing for downtown baseball stadium
Published: May 15,2013
BILOXI — The Biloxi City Council has voted 5-2 on a resolution that could lead to the borrowing of $20 million for the construction of an athletic stadium.
Councilmen George Lawrence and David Fayard voted against the plan.
WLOX-TV in Biloxi reports Councilman Ed Gemmill told other council members that a downtown baseball stadium would jump start businesses and tourism in the area.
Gemmill says the stadium proposal has the support of many business owners in Biloxi.
Details of the stadium plan have not been released.
The city plans to issue bonds to borrow the $20 million.
Council members in favor of the project say they will be asking for more details in the future before any bonds are secured.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- McDaniel files legal arguments as he looks to overturn Cochran loss
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Fitch gives Mississippi Power a negative outlook due to Kemper plant
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- Payday lender expects clean bill from regulators