Council gives nod to borrowing for downtown baseball stadium
Published: May 15,2013
BILOXI — The Biloxi City Council has voted 5-2 on a resolution that could lead to the borrowing of $20 million for the construction of an athletic stadium.
Councilmen George Lawrence and David Fayard voted against the plan.
WLOX-TV in Biloxi reports Councilman Ed Gemmill told other council members that a downtown baseball stadium would jump start businesses and tourism in the area.
Gemmill says the stadium proposal has the support of many business owners in Biloxi.
Details of the stadium plan have not been released.
The city plans to issue bonds to borrow the $20 million.
Council members in favor of the project say they will be asking for more details in the future before any bonds are secured.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Gulf oil and gas leases to go up for sale in March
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- Airport gets grant to support seasonal service from Sun Country
- State officials identify first flu case this season
- STAYING POSITIVE — Career attitude help Brynn Joachim to fight disease at 41