Council gives nod to borrowing for downtown baseball stadium
Published: May 15,2013
BILOXI — The Biloxi City Council has voted 5-2 on a resolution that could lead to the borrowing of $20 million for the construction of an athletic stadium.
Councilmen George Lawrence and David Fayard voted against the plan.
WLOX-TV in Biloxi reports Councilman Ed Gemmill told other council members that a downtown baseball stadium would jump start businesses and tourism in the area.
Gemmill says the stadium proposal has the support of many business owners in Biloxi.
Details of the stadium plan have not been released.
The city plans to issue bonds to borrow the $20 million.
Council members in favor of the project say they will be asking for more details in the future before any bonds are secured.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Judicial candidates put on ballot after rejection of challenges
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- MSU receives funding for two proposals aimed at boosting NASA missions
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university