Council gives nod to borrowing for downtown baseball stadium
Published: May 15,2013
BILOXI — The Biloxi City Council has voted 5-2 on a resolution that could lead to the borrowing of $20 million for the construction of an athletic stadium.
Councilmen George Lawrence and David Fayard voted against the plan.
WLOX-TV in Biloxi reports Councilman Ed Gemmill told other council members that a downtown baseball stadium would jump start businesses and tourism in the area.
Gemmill says the stadium proposal has the support of many business owners in Biloxi.
Details of the stadium plan have not been released.
The city plans to issue bonds to borrow the $20 million.
Council members in favor of the project say they will be asking for more details in the future before any bonds are secured.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- DAVID DALLAS — Just how long can Dan stand?
- Cal-Maine income skyrockets as prices rise and costs shrink
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Lawmakers move on bonds despite complaints from colleges and universities
- Business groups file briefs in support of Kemper coal plant rehearing
- Grain scandal takes its toll on Delta farmers
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love