Federation president praises lawmakers for Farm Bill effort
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 15,2013
JACKSON — The Mississippi Farm Bureau Federation (MFBF) leadership is commending U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss) and his staff for their diligent work to reach a solid compromise on a Senate Farm Bill package.
Yesterday, the U.S. Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry passed a piece of farm legislation that garnered a 15-5 vote.
MFBF president Randy Knight said, “We want to express our gratitude to Sen. Cochran and his leadership team for working with Chairwoman (Debbie) Stabenow (D-Mich.) to bridge the gap across party and regional lines to develop a bill that is sound for Mississippi farmers and ranchers.
“While we have several more steps in the legislative process, this strong vote will certainly be a big jumpstart to the process.”
Today, the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Agriculture is expected to take up similar action on companion farm legislation.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Gulf oil rig explosion kills one worker, injures three
- Federal appeals court: State's abortion law is unconstitutional
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again
- Court hits David Watkins with $600,000 order over Retro Metro issues