Federation president praises lawmakers for Farm Bill effort
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 15,2013
JACKSON — The Mississippi Farm Bureau Federation (MFBF) leadership is commending U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss) and his staff for their diligent work to reach a solid compromise on a Senate Farm Bill package.
Yesterday, the U.S. Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry passed a piece of farm legislation that garnered a 15-5 vote.
MFBF president Randy Knight said, “We want to express our gratitude to Sen. Cochran and his leadership team for working with Chairwoman (Debbie) Stabenow (D-Mich.) to bridge the gap across party and regional lines to develop a bill that is sound for Mississippi farmers and ranchers.
“While we have several more steps in the legislative process, this strong vote will certainly be a big jumpstart to the process.”
Today, the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Agriculture is expected to take up similar action on companion farm legislation.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter
- Ex-Delta mayor indicted, accused of stealing city property
- Cochran's legal counsel asks Court to toss McDaniel's lawsuit
- Williams-Sonoma expanding, adding nearly 1,000 jobs
- More than half-dozen groups file charter school applications
- State Rep. Patterson switches from Democrats to GOP
- Ex-baliff wants pay or her job back after termination
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015