Federation president praises lawmakers for Farm Bill effort
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 15,2013
JACKSON — The Mississippi Farm Bureau Federation (MFBF) leadership is commending U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss) and his staff for their diligent work to reach a solid compromise on a Senate Farm Bill package.
Yesterday, the U.S. Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry passed a piece of farm legislation that garnered a 15-5 vote.
MFBF president Randy Knight said, “We want to express our gratitude to Sen. Cochran and his leadership team for working with Chairwoman (Debbie) Stabenow (D-Mich.) to bridge the gap across party and regional lines to develop a bill that is sound for Mississippi farmers and ranchers.
“While we have several more steps in the legislative process, this strong vote will certainly be a big jumpstart to the process.”
Today, the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Agriculture is expected to take up similar action on companion farm legislation.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015