James Newman wins SEC faculty recognition
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 17,2013
James C. Newman Jr., a Mississippi State University aerospace engineering professor and researcher specializing in the structural safety of aircraft, is among selections for a 2013 Southeastern Conference Faculty Achievement Award. At the university, Newman holds the rank of Giles Distinguished Professor, the institution’s highest faculty rank, and the Richard H. Johnson Chair of Aerospace Engineering in the James Worth Bagley College of Engineering. A principal investigator whose research grants currently total more than $3.6 million, he is a specialist in fatigue and fracture mechanics of materials and aircraft structures.
Chosen by a selection committee of provosts at the 14 conference institutions, the SEC Faculty Achievement Award is part of non-athletically related activities the organization has undertaken through its academic initiative to encourage academic leadership and collaboration within the membership. Each of the 14 winners receives a $5,000 honorarium and becomes their school’s nominee for the SEC Professor of the Year Award. Both awards first were presented last year.
Newman is a Memphis, Tenn., native who holds a doctorate in engineering mechanics from Virginia Tech University. After spending nearly 40 years as a senior scientist at NASA’s Langley Research Center in Hampton, Va., he returned to the Mid-South in 2001 to join MSU’s aerospace engineering department.
Newman also recently was named Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He earlier was honored as a Fellow of the American Society for Testing and Materials and Associate Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. A member of the American Society for Engineering Education, he additionally holds the U.S. Air Force John W. Lincoln Aircraft Structural Integrity Medal and a Lifetime Achievement Award of the Fatigue Damage of Structural Materials organization.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Retired judge to hear McDaniel's challenge of primary loss to Cochran
- PSC's Brandon Presley calls in-state nuclear waste dump a 'harebrained scheme'
- Georgia-Pacific completes acquisition of SPG Holdings
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Venture Technologies merges with ISC, acquires SAT
- State's jobless rate remains highest in U.S.
- Former DMR manager pleads guilty to embezzlement
- GOLF ranks state's courses; Fallen Oaks, Dancing Rabbit make top 100
- Court ruling on Section 42 leaves taxpayers on hook for tax repayments