Undersecretary: ‘I understand the frustration’ over catfish inspections
by Associated Press
Published: May 17,2013
Tags: agriculture, aquaculture, catfish, farm, farmer, farming, federal agency, federal government, food, food inspection, food safety, foreign fish, import, importer, importing, legislative, legislator, Senator
WASHINGTON — U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) has received word that the U.S. Department of Agriculture could complete a final rule for implementing a catfish inspection program by this October, Cochran reports in a release.
Dr. Elisabeth Hagen, USDA undersecretary for food safety, today told Cochran the USDA Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS) is committed to issuing a final rule on the catfish inspection program by Oct. 1, the end of the fiscal year.
Cochran raised the inspection issue at a Senate Agriculture Appropriations Subcommittee hearing yesterday to review FY2014 budget requests for agencies within the USDA.
Responding to a Cochran question, Hagen testified that she is committed to the FSIS issuing a final rule this year.
“I understand the frustration with the delay. I think it has turned out to be more complicated than we thought it would be. I am committed to trying to get this out, getting a final rule out, by the end of the fiscal year,” said Hagen, adding that “sometimes there are pieces of that timetable that we don’t control, but our staff knows that this is a priority.”
The 2008 Farm Bill authorized the USDA to implement a program to inspect and grade foreign and domestic catfish in the manner that it inspects other domestic and imported livestock raised on land-locked farms. However, the program has been stymied by difficulty within the USDA in setting a scientific definition for catfish and related fish.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability